Focus diesel automatic

Liamob

Hello everyone!

I'd like to travel to the UK and buy a Ford Focus 1.6 tdci automatic. I don't think the diesel automatics in 1.6 were ever available here, and besides, there's big money to be saved by importing from Britain. I'd prefer to get an automatic, as I lived in Australia for a while, and grew to love them.

My question is, does anybody have any experience with this car? Would they recommend one? How is the fuel economy compared to the manual? How is that tdci automatic engine reviewed in press?

no help but also try asking the question on the motors forum in boards.ie

The Focus has been available as a 1.6 tdci automatic in UK since 2005. There are a few of them on autotrader.co.uk at the moment.....
I wonder if it's economical?

You're right. It's a rare car however, and with a cvt auto . It'll be a lot heavier on fuel and reports on it are mixed. VRT will be higher too.

New Focus (UK) only offers a 2.0TDCI with a powershift (DSG) auto.

Thanks RS2K!

You're a fountain of knowledge!

One last question, are DSG automatics better/more fuel efficient than CVTs? I must look up that model Focus! Any other recommendations for a diesel, automatic car? That's not too expensive to run?

thanks again....

DSG's are way superior in every way. Economy (similar to a 6 speed manual) and refinement are much better.

2.0TDCI in a Focus is a hoot too. Great power and torque.

Go for an 08 one or later and you get CO2 based VRT and road tax.

I drive a VW Golf 1.9TDi DSG and get 50.5 MPG and can prove it!! so I'd highly recommend the DSG gearbox
New Golf 2.0TDI with the DSG is my next car, be 55MPG then I reckon

DSG is a Volkswagon/Audi term to describe there Dual Shift Gearbox which can be driven as an automatic, I'd like to state the term DSG has nothing to do with Ford as a previous poster has implied

Thanks lads for those replies! I'll definitely have a look a the Golf DSG. It's just a pity than the engine, 1.9L is so big and I've have to but a '08 to qualify for the emmisions-based road tax. But I suppose if it's cheap enough to run, it's not so bad. I presume the DSG gearbox is not available in any other car with a smaller diesel engine....

Ford make a near identical transmission. Twin clutch and gearbox.

DSG is a Volkswagon/Audi term to describe there Dual Shift Gearbox ...
DSG is a VAG term for Direct Shift Gearbox, (DirektSchaltGetriebe in German, or "direct transmission" as a literal translation into English).

The new 7-speed DSG is curently available in the all new Skoda Superb and the new Seat Ibiza, but I'm not entirely sure which engine / DSG configurations will be available in the short-term.