Focus Cmax 1.6tdci V 1.6 Petrol

Headachecity

Hi guys,

I was after a Focus Cmax 1.6tdci 04 or 05 but very hard to come by. A dealer in Bray is selling a 2004 1.6 petrol for €14.5k. Any tdci's for sale at the moment are either a colour I don't like, and the 1.6 petrol in Bray is a lovely colour, in good condition etc.

What do you think??, should I just wait for a decent 1.6tdci due to the mileage I do each day. Rathdrum is 62kms from Dublin and I do it in the mornings and evenings!

Last edited:
Are you trading a car in? If not, I'd consider getting one in the UK: huge choice of cars that are (a) cheaper and (b) better looked after than here.

Takes a bit more effort OK, but well worth it.

By the way, I'd definitely get the diesel if I were you.

You'd have to work out how it works out purchase price, depreciation fuel costs over length of ownership.

I'm selling my own car privately, so I have the cash at the ready. I suppose the diesel is better for me mileage wise. If I get an 04, going to keep it until 2009, and if I get an 05 going to keep that until 2010.

I was also looking at an 03 1.9tdi passat 110bhp automatic, lovely car but don't think I would be doing too well with the diesel consumption on an auto but I could be wrong. Descisions Descisions....

Currently have a 00 Honda Accord, 1.8ils Vtec Automatic and although I love the car and never had a days trouble with it, it's crippling me fuel consumption wise. Just not suiteable for heavy mileage. Should really have changed it before we moved house!

I owned 2 Focus C-Max 1.6 TDCI Zetecs and they are very good.

If I was in your boat I'd import one tbh. No shortage across the pond.

Zetec model is best. Avoid LX.

I'm looking at buying a diesel C-Max in the UK and there is a wide range on offer. Would there be a big difference in the cost of tax and insurance between the 1.6 TDCI and 2.0 TDCI models ?

VRT would be 30% vs 25%, tax would be a bit higher - maybe €200 p.a. insurance is not a big deal I'd guess.

Fuel economy on the 2.0TDCI isn't as good, but it is quite zippy.

Resale - 1.6TDCI would be miles easier to move on.