FM Transmitter for MP3 Player

majee

Are these illegal to use in Ireland? Seems to be illegal in the UK and so by extension I'd guess it's the same here. If you can legally buy them whats the issue?

Dixons and PC World were selling Belkin models a month or two ago in anticipation of a relaxing/repeal of the law. I assume they are still on sale there...

the recent irish PC World newspaper ads did say they were illegal in Ireland in the small print

Not illegal but strictly you needed a broadcast license to use one. I thought that there was a recent change in the law making them legal to use without a broadcast license?

That's good to hear! Is it only your own radio that can pick it up or can other radio stations picj up your songs once you've connected up your mp3 to the radio?

Is it only your own radio that can pick it up or can other radio stations picj up your songs once you've connected up your mp3 to the radio?
Any radio receiver/tuner in range and tuned to the selected channel will pick up your broadcast. The range should be pretty limited though.

I had one of those (brought in from the States) and didn't find it much good - you need a totally free frequency which is diff in a city and when you are travelling you keep losing signal as the likes of 2FM change freqs and local channels come & go. Ended up getting one of those fake tapes for the car tapedeck as have no cd player

What you think of this one: [broken link removed]
Or would I be better paying a bit more money? Anybody have this?

Looks fine to me, and 15 channel presets is a lot more than your average Belkin offers.

Why not buy it and try it? If you're not happy, Lidl Brothers will give you your money back...

I bought one of the Belkin FM transmitters from PC World to use in the car.

Sound quality was like listening to a radio station on AM dial, lots of fizz/hiss in the background.

Not worth the trouble so took it back with no hassle from PC World.
From their no-quibble refund, wouldn't say I was the first to bring one back either.

Emaol