Flying with 14 yr old niece - do I need identification for her?

Z

Z100

Never too sure whether I need a passport or not when travelling to the UK, but I always bring it any way (and am usually asked for it).

But what do I do about my niece for identification? She's on her mother's passport so presumably I can't use that? Thanks.

Any use?

Passports for Children

Technically you don't need a passport for the UK but in practice many (all?) airlines will require it or some similar photo ID.

I would imagine that the child will need her own passport.

From the Ryanair website:

N.B. Children under 16 years (including infants) travelling with an adult are required to have photo-ID when travelling on flights between European Economic Area (EEA) countries.Acceptable photo-ID for children under 16 is either a valid passport or a valid National Identity Card issued by an EEA country.
Photo-Id for children under 16 years is not required in the following circumstances:
  • oChildren travelling with an adult on UK domestic flights and UK-Republic of Ireland-UK routes.
  • Children included on the passport of the parent with whom they are travelling.
  • German children under 10 in possession of a valid German Government Kinderausweis travel document.
  • oItalian children in possession of a valid Certificato Di Nascita which has been endorsed as "VALIDO PER L'ESPATRIO" valid for travel and signed by "IL QUESTORE" subject to acceptance for entry to your destination country.
From the Aer Lingus site :

• Irish passengers travelling to the U.K. are not required to carry their passport however it is still required to bring either a passport or some form of official photo identification when travelling to the U.K. You will often have to produce your passport when registering at hotels or cashing travellers cheques.
  • Passengers under 16 years travelling to the UK from Ireland, need not have their own passport or be named on their parent's passport, however it is advisable that they bring some form of identification (e.g. birth certificate, bus pass or student card) if possible. The following ID are accepted:
    • Valid Passport
    • Driver’s licence with photo
    • International student card
    • National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    • Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    • Bus pass with photo
    • Work ID with photo

If it was me I'd play it safe and make sure that the kid had her own passport. Regardless of the guidelines above it would be a shame to arrive at the airport and be refused boarding because of lack of ID.

Thanks you two, that's great. I think to avoid any potential hassle I'll suggest to the girl's mother that she get her her own passport. Just found this on the Dept of Foreign Affairs' website, I'm hopelessly out of touch:

Since 1 October 2004, all children, regardless of age, must obtain an individual passport in their own name.

In line with best international practice, the Passport Office ceased the practice of including children on their parents' passports since 1 October 2004. This is intended to increase the security of international travel for children and reduce the risk of kidnapping and child trafficking.

Parents’ passports issued before 1 October on which children have been included remain valid and do not need to be replaced.

Can you believe that last point (emphasis added)!

Why didn't you just read my post above in which I posted a link to that very page?

Because I'm a fool (Passed on the info to niece's mother and she's decided the easiest route is to get her a passport, no need for a driver's licence or anything else )