Flying into Birmingham International from Dublin

suicra05

I am flying into Birmingham international airport from Dublin with Ryanair. Flight arrives at 1140, have to catch train to Liverpool at 1215.
I understand there is a shuttle train between the airport and train station. Has anybody done this?. Will I have enough time to get through Birmingham customs etc to get the train.

Eh very unlikely. Plane arrives at 11.40 if you are lucky. At least 10 minutes to taxi. 10 minutes to get off the plane. 10-15 mins to walk through airport to catch shuttle. The shuttle only takes two minutes but there is no way you make it with those timings.

It's tight if you get any delay before actually getting off the plane. Once off you will get through baggage area in 5 minutes but have your passport at hand as they often ask for it when going into baggage area. it's really easy to get to train station. When you arrive into the public arrivals hall keep going to your left and get an (the only one that meets you) escalator upstairs and turn right into the corner where you will jump a monorail directly to train station. From public area to train station will take about 3 minutes walk either side of the monorail which tuns every 60 seconds. It's well signposted for train station also.

There was no customs the last time I visited England, but that might change before you go.

As I understand it, the train actually goes from the Airport Station directly to LIverpool Lime Street.

So if the plane arrives on time, you should have plenty of time.

brendan

Guys she won't. 11.40 arrival time is the time the aircraft touches down. There is no way, the plane taxis to the stand (usually at least 10 minutes in Birmingham), she gets off the aircraft, walks through to the terminal, onto the shuttle, walk to the train platform in 35 minutes. And that's if the flight is on time. She might make it if flight is early but I wouldn't have money on it.

I flew into Birmingham last year and got the shuttle to the train station. It all went much more smoothly than I had imagined. But I was under no time pressure and I can't remember exactly how long everything took.

11.40 arrival time is the time the aircraft touches down.

Ryanair are usually pretty conservative with their arrival times to help their 'on-time' stats, and usually aim for a 25 minute turnaround time on a gate.

That said, looks like today's flight is a couple of minutes late, and the arrival gate isn't available to verify that.

Ah Birmingham Airport, how many times have I legged it for a train from you? Honestly, the chances of making it are pretty slim. I certainly wouldn't depend on it, especially if you have to pick up tickets as well. All going peachy you have 33 minutes in there (allowing for doors closing), which is enough time to cover the distance to the train even from the most Siberian of gates if you know the airport well, but realistically, just about . A minute or two delay, here or there will quite easily add up. Any flight delay will gobble that half hour up, another plane not leaving the gate in time will cost you, just missing the shuttle to the station will cost you, getting through the scrum exiting into the airport will cost you, getting off the plane will probably cost you. My minimum comfort time in Birmingham to a train would be 45 minutes and at that I would expect that on balance I will miss the train more times than I will catch it.

Back