flotaki run (shaggy sheepskin) can u throw these rugs in the washing machine? clean?

phoenix

Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows if you can throw these rugs in the washing machine or how do you clean them?

Thanks

Phoenix

Re: flotaki run (shaggy sheepskin)

is it real sheepskin or flokati? (which is a woven rug with long lenghts of wool). They are not the same thing.

If it would fit in the washing machine then you can wash on a gentle cycle with wool detergent. If sheepskin, then dry away from direct heat and comb through the wool fibres with a pet brush to restore the fluffiness.

thanks, its definitely flokati. I'll stick it in the washing machine and see how it goes.

Rgds

Phoenix

I found this at [broken link removed]

Washing:

The cleaning process for your Flokati Rug is amazingly simple. The Flokati should be shaken outdoors periodically to remove dust. You may wash the rug with the mildest of wool soaps. A cleanser that we carry in stock, and recommend is called Eucalan® WOOL WASH. If you would like to purchase this cleanser, please contact our factory. You must avoid washing your Flokati Rug in High water temperatures, chlorine bleach as well as dry cleaning. Not avoiding the above will destroy the protective fiber content of the wool.
For small sized rugs you may put them in your washing machine and wash on the Gentle Cycle. Air dry while avoiding direct sunlight, for the sun's rays will distort the color of your Flokati Rug.
There are many Rug Companies that will pick up, clean and deliver your Flokati back to you. Washing your Flokati Rug properly will not damage your rug, but will merely enhance its unique and inviting quality, appearance and touch.

Re: flotaki run (shaggy sheepskin) can u throw these rugs in the washing machine? cle

thanks a million for that Jack, I take it that an ordinary detergent will not suffice and that I should look for a wool specific one.

P

Re: flotaki run (shaggy sheepskin) can u throw these rugs in the washing machine? cle

Looks like it.. maybe "Woolite"?

To be honest in Greece where these rugs originate they would be scrubbed outside with a brush and whatever soap or detergent was at hand so don't worry too much. Just avoid a hot wash, wool does not like that.

Rug washed and looking wonderful.

Thanks for all the advice

Phoenix

You are welcome.

Back