Florida to New York by car

• Thread starter krazyshopper
  • Start date
K

krazyshopper

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has ever done this trip. Planning to go for ten days in September, but its my first time in America and I'm not sure if thats enough time.
Also does anyone have any suggestions on places to stop?

Thanks!

Wht go to the bother of driving when you can fly in under 2 hours for less than $100?

Hi, thanks for your reply. Thats a far point if we only wanted to see the two cities, but I was hoping to see as much of that part of the coast as possible in 10 days and a roadtrip seems like the best way to do it.

I read recently that the state of Texas is twice the size of Germany, so not having any experience of the States and its huge size I was hoping to get an idea about whether it was a realistic journey in ten days.

Have done a lot of driving in US but don't think Florida to New York in 10 days is a realistic one, very long journey and although you'll want to take in plenty of places you'll probably just end up spending your time on I95 interstate. I travelled from south florida (miami) by car to north florida (tallahassee) and that took 3 days, Florida is huge! You could easily spend 8+ hours a day simply driving. Instead decide on some places close together you might like to see - can recommend North Florida, through Mississippi and into New Orleans, or a trip further north New York, Boston, etc.
If you really want Florida, can't beat Florida Keys, drive from Fort Lauderdale/Miami down over the bridges and spending a few days in Miami and then in Key West - its fantastic.
August/September is Hurricane season in South Florida and it can be pretty bad. I'd err on the side of New York etc for that time of year.

I'd agree. Even at 10 days, you'd spend the bulk of your time on the highway. This is dull. Very dull.

Why not a couple of days in NY, then fly to Florida and spend a couple of weeks travelling round? As the previous poster said, it's a big state.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Thats a far point if we only wanted to see the two cities, but I was hoping to see as much of that part of the coast as possible in 10 days and a roadtrip seems like the best way to do it.

Unlike the West Coast which has some pretty spectacular scenery most of the East Coast (bits I've seen anyway) is fairly dull from a scenery point of view. Driving from New York to Miami is well over 1,000 miles ... and would be a waste of a holiday I think

Spend your time in NYC city (where a car is no use to you) then get a flight down to Florida and rent a car

My son did the trip from Florida to Chicago he said he spent his time on the motorway and saw very little.

I've done it twice. It takes 3 days to drive it, that's pretty much Interstate the whole time...a couple of stops here and there. I had 2 weeks both ends when I did it, so the 3 days driving was fine with me. 10 days is pushing it a bit though.

I did this trip in a month using the trains (which I wouldn't advise) if you could give the trip more time it would be amazing! We started in New York, then DC, Virginia, Charleston-one of my favourite places!, Savannah, Orlando, Miami, then the Florida Keys. It was a fantastic trip, PM me if you need more details.

Miami to NYC = 1286 miles = 21 hrs 43 minutes if you drive at 60mph the whole way.

Approx $146 for petrol At $4/gallon

Theres not much to see along this route. You should do some research on what you want to see along the way.

Are you serious? The whole East coast of the US? I can't imagine that you have travelled along it. There is so much to see.

Well if theres so much to see why havent you put it in your post instead of contradicting other posters?

I lived in the Southern US for many years, and I stand by my comments that theres not a lot to see along that route.

I
Please read all of the posts before you get so snarly.

Well said Thundercat

I also did this trip up the East coast but it was in 1987 so it is a little hazy now. We took about 12 days and had a ball.

Just hit the road and enjoy it

I did this trip in one day. Middletown NY to St Augustine FL. Approx 1100 miles. It was a marathon journey but it suited us at the time due to lower gas prices (sub $1 a gallon) and higher air fares. I think it would be a great trip with lots to see. e.g Washington DC, West Virginia, N and S Carolina (great resorts along the coast), some stunning scenery along the Shenendoah Valley (go in Autumn for the full effect) Go for it!