Flooring - for dummies

adams

We are young couple (planning for a family) have recently put a deposit for a new house.(Dublin)

I'd like to get a suggestion over solid /semi-solid & laminated flooring.

We are vacillating b/w solid & semi solid & laminated. (After reading Archives)

Can ALL of you - please let US the pros & cons.
We do not have any ideas abt floor - looking for general consensus.
We would appreciate cost & labour cost discussions.
Thanks a MILE!
Adam & Eve
PS: Please recommend stores & workmen too.
PPS:Should we go shopping in UK…?

Try Makro.co.uk they have a special on at moment on solid wood floors when you see the price you should add 50% to allow for stg rate and VAT

Does buying flooring in the UK really work when you add in transport, exchange etc? Anyway for my money I'd say the following: depends on your budget! If you can afford it sold wood is obviously the best product- it sits well on the floor, looks solid, lasts well and may be refinished. But to get the best from it have it fitted by a good installer- afterall solid is expensive. Next best is semi-solid- looks good too, but you'll know it's semi-solid, it's pretty cheap now, quick and easy to lay and will last well if looked after. Laminate is fine in bedrooms etc where much of it will be hidden by furniture anyway. It's dirt cheap, looks cheap (in my opinion) and is very serviceable. If the house you're buying is your "forever home" (as I've heard them called!) I'd stretch and go for solid over semi-solid anyday. But if you envisage trading up in the near future then I'd go with semi-solid- it'll cost you half as much and you can't take it with you!

Best of luck with it anyway.

Thanks Carpenter. You've answered our major concern.
This is our home - no trading up thought at all!

Is solid wood good for the family( with kids?)

Thanks a million!

adams said:
Thanks Carpenter. You've answered our major concern.
This is our home - no trading up thought at all!

Is solid wood good for the family( with kids?)

Thanks a million!

Is it good for kids?- I'd say so. I've one at crawling/ first steps stage and our semi-solid floor makes a good floor finish- warm to the touch, easily wiped clean etc. Babies are inclined to get water/ drinks everywhere so it's important to mop them up as soon as they occur to prevent water damage. Solid wood is very good floor finish for little knees and hands. We have tiling in the kitchen which is cold and hard (but washable and durable)- if we were doing the job again I think I'd seriously consider a really good lino like "Marmoleum" (even though it's on a par with tiling for cost). In a creche facility that we did design and build on recently we used a good vinyl floor covering throughout. Looks great and is warm to the touch and has some resilience. Very hygienic as well, but too utilitarian in your average home.

Carpenter said:
Does buying flooring in the UK really work when you add in transport, exchange etc? Anyway for my money I'd say the following: depends on your budget! If you can afford it sold wood is obviously the best product- it sits well on the floor, looks solid, lasts well and may be refinished. But to get the best from it have it fitted by a good installer- afterall solid is expensive. Next best is semi-solid- looks good too, but you'll know it's semi-solid, it's pretty cheap now, quick and easy to lay and will last well if looked after. Laminate is fine in bedrooms etc where much of it will be hidden by furniture anyway. It's dirt cheap, looks cheap (in my opinion) and is very serviceable. If the house you're buying is your "forever home" (as I've heard them called!) I'd stretch and go for solid over semi-solid anyday. But if you envisage trading up in the near future then I'd go with semi-solid- it'll cost you half as much and you can't take it with you!

Best of luck with it anyway.

All good advice. Personally, I avoid anything that "looks like" something else, and laminate fits in that slot. At it's best, it will be obvious that it is laminate. For me, the best wood solution is to get unfinished hardwood, sand/stain/varnish it yourself. This gives an imperfect finish, I have a bit of an aversion to the pre-finished look, i.e. too perfect.

A little bit off topic but there's a great guide on the ikea website for anyone that wants to lay there own woonen floor.

Go to www.ikea.com
Choose UK
Choose Floors (left hand side)
Choose Floor Guide (half way down page)

I'm sure somebody can provide a link

Back