Flooring an attic (Cork)

Firefly

Hi,

We'd like a recommendation for someone to floor our attic. Ideally, this would include light insulation between the beams and a floor above them. Only interested in qualified, insured people as don't want a coyboy falling though the ceiling! Happy to pay top dollar for the right person. References will be required.

Tx
F

Hi Firefly. Would you not consider doing it yourself? It's certainly not rocket science! By the way, why are you only going with light insulation?

Hi Firefly. Would you not consider doing it yourself? It's certainly not rocket science! By the way, why are you only going with light insulation?

I would try it, but want something like this done right as it'll be supporting all our "stuff" and don't want it coming through the roof in a few years time! The reason for the light insulation under the floor is that I'll be putting really good insulation between the rafters

If you're only flooring it, you won't need to do any propping, etc., and you'll definitely be able to do it yourself with just a screw gun. You can buy chipboard tongue and groove flooring, specifically for this purpose, in B&Q, Woodie's, etc. You'd be well advised to insulate under this as best you can because that will ensure that your bedrooms are well insulated. Whatever you do, do not compress fibreglass etc., type insulation. That decreases its insulating properties. Take a good look at solid insulation board for this as well.

You can now get the chipboard tongue and groove flooring with insulation bonded to it. This will give you a much better insulation value though you will lose a few inches in head room. Just filling between the joists and putting chipboard on top is unlikely to get you to the recommended insulation level.
Leo

I have never found a source for this in Ireland. Since discovering its existence several years and after further studying the subject, I would be concerned about condensation building up on the underside of the board, when used in a house with non foil lined plasterboard. Apart from this concern I would love to use it in my attic!

What dimensions are they, Leo? I go to B&Q a lot, in Mahon Point, but I've never seen them either. I've seen the ordinary chipboard tongue and groove ones (4ft x 2ft approx) but they're not insulated. I'd definitely use them if I could source them. Thanks.

Hi Lex, they're the same size as the non-insulated variety, with 100mm insulation bonded to the underside. I have some myself, so I'll see if I can get the stock code tonight. I got them in Liffey Valley, I've never seen them in the Tallaght store.
Leo

Thanks again, Leo. If you can post the stock code, I'll get B&Q in Mahon Point to order them for me. Can you remember how much they were and how big the pack was?

Hi Lex, the stock code is: 0381 7216

The sheets are 1220x325, 127mm thick including 100mm of insulation.

From memory they were priced about a tenner each, but had them reduced by 30 or 40% when I got them.
Leo