Floor tiles in en-suite grout cracking

blinkbelle

Hi all,

Just noticed that the grouting seems to be coming loose from around at least 2 of my floor tiles in en-suite

Like I can actually pick the grout up,it seems to be cracking. House is just over 1year old. The tiler did all the tiles in house and he done a great job so I dont think it's his fault.

En-suite in used everyday maybe it's to much walking on it?? Anybody else ever come accross anything like this? Should i just regrout the 2tiles??

Thanks for any reply's :)

My un-professional 2 cents worth. You should re-grout the tiles. I am sure the tiler put a plywood sheet on the floorboard before tiling and it may be that it is loose where the grouting is lifting. You might want to gouge out a bit of the still-sticking grout to give the new grout a somewhat better grip.

Hi hansov,

From what I can see from where the grouting has lifted in just cement as in the cement floor...should I be worryed that there is no plywood sheet?

And I remember a couple of months ago hearing a cracking noise while walking over the tiles. Himself heard this noise aswell a few times.

Ah! My answer was based on me thinking it was an upstairs loo and the tiles were on floorboards. Sounds to me like the tile(s) wasn't fully bedded in tile cement and has moved.

It could be just that the tiles and/or grout were not left long enough before walking on them. If this is the case, the tiles/grout could well have flexed and shifted a bit.

Are the tiles in question near where you might step out from the shower or maybe directly under the sink? Extra water/splashes before they had set may have contributed also.

Unless the actual tiles themselves are loose I wouldn't worry - just regrout I'd say.

Last edited:
get flexible grout when re grouting so won't happen again, often happens as house dries out

Back