Flood under suspended floor

denuqu

I am currently renovating an old cottage and yesterday discovered about a foot of water under the floor in the sitting room.

What do I do, all other rooms in the house have been filled with concrete.
So would my best option be to fill this room also. I suspect the water is coming up through the ground due to the never ending rain.

I intend to put French drains around house but any advise would be helpful .

is the level of the floor below the ground / path level of the house?????

if this is the case you may not have any option but to raise it, as the water is coming in through the walls
If not then its caused by something leaking in the house.

Sorry for late reply. Level of fllor is def below ground level and there is no water in the house at present.
Thanks.

you need to raise the level of this subfloor. either that or create an external 'tank' but that would be uneconomical.
You will probably have to insulate under the floor anyway, so you will be taking up the floor boards..... better to do it all now.

get the 'Homebond' Building manual... it should be your bible.... all the details you need to consider are in there.

The level of sub floor should be brought up to be at least level or up to 100mm above the surrounding ground/ path level. This can be done using concrete but it will entail lifting all the existing floor boards of course. It would also be a good time to: ensure that the underfloor ventilation is sufficient, make plumbing/ electrical improvements, add insulation. In the current situation your below ground level sub floor is acting as a sump.

Back