Flights to Canada - wait for price change?

elefantfresh

Looking for flights to Canada next feb - last week i saw them for 550e return. Yesterday they were 715e and today they're 850e. Talk about missing the boat.
Anyways, what i'm asking is should i sit tight for another couple of weeks and see if they go down or should i just bite the bullet now? I know with other air lines that the prices fluctuate like crazy sometimes - anyone know about Air Canada? Do they do this?

Thanks

The increase is most likely to do with the escalation in the cost of aviation fuel. Unlikely to come back down to €550 , but I would hold off , should'nt go much higher than €850.
Have you tried changing dates ? Perhaps there is an "event" taking place at your destination around the time you intend flying. That would also load the fare.

elefantfresh,
make sure that you 'clear' your internet cache on your browser and try costing your flights again. Alternatively, try and cost your flights on a different computer.
Some travel-web sites 'remember' your last flight searches and when you run the same query the next day they show you more expensive options.

Gallogly - i tried both those ideas - different browser on my own machine and then a different machine altogether - pesky prices are still 850e.
hmmm........maybe i'll win the 17million at the weekend.

Some people claim that some airline sites record details of your browsing/searching of their sites in cookies stored on your machine and then use these as an input into the pricing of flights that you look at. I'm not sure if anybody ever established that this actually happens. If it does then clearing the browser cache (or at least the cookies for the specific site in question) may help. I'm dubious myself but am open to edification on this.

yes - I have seen this happening, great prices on flights one day and you go back the next and the price has gone up somewhat. You then clear your browser cache and the cheaper flights magically re-appear.

For the non-believers it is quite easy to test on the web-sites of either of our major airlines. Day 1 - do a search on a flight say from Dublin to London - record the results; Then on Day 2 (24 hrs later) - do the same search and record the results again; Clear your cache and then do the same search and compare your results;

It is worth noting that sufficient time needs to elapse between your searches (whatever that is) before you can see this working. This is why I suggest leaving 24hrs for demo purposes.

See step 2 on the following link for more technical information (no affiliation to site):

http://www.mahalo.com/How_to_book_a_cheap_flight

also wirfarewatchdog.com recommends (again no affiliation):
"And another little tip: be sure to clear the “cookies” on your internet browser (on Explorer you do this under the “tools” menu and “internet options” sub menu). Why do this? If a fare changes between two separate searches done over time on the same route, some fare search engines may return the results you viewed earlier rather than the new, lower results."

and here also:
[broken link removed]

There is an airline flying to Toronto and Vancouver from Belfast and it's quite cheap. I can't think of the name though....

Have a look at

You'll have alot more choice if you opt to fly out of Dublin or Belfast

I was pricing Ireland/Canada last year with Air Canada. Got prices but didn't book anything. few days later went back online to check again, and the exact same travel date schedule popped up when I entered the destination. certainly seems as if the cookies were enabling Air Canada.

FYI I just booked 2 adults + infant on Dublin-Montreal for Eur 810 TOTAL with Air Transat - 2 days before flight!
Much cheaper than other options...