Flights to Australia

Flick

Hi,

Planing a trip to OZ for a month at end of Oct. with a stopover in Hong Kong on the way back. Wonder if anyone has done a similar trip and which airline they flew with and what they were like.

We are just deciding on which airline to fly with. they are all similarly priced so more concerned about comfort, service entertainment.

Had a look at Business class - ohh the prices !! anyone did business class to oz?

All comments greatly appreciated

We flew with Quantas from Bangkok to Sydney and they were brilliant. Everything from the entertainment to the food was great. After the meal they gave everyone a little bag that contained a bottle of water, sock, toothbrush set, packet of polo mints and a treat. That was about 4 years ago though so things may have changed

Hi there, having lived in Oz for nine years I have done the trip many times. Used to travel a fair bit with business too so often did business class. Had a good friend at Qantas so was upgraded to First on a few occasions too...Ohhhh the comfort, in comparrison to cattle class!

At the time when I was travelling, not all cabins had been properly converted to those seats that turn into flat beds (thats two years ago). It may be different now but if u do decide to go business it is worth checking and double checking that seats have been converted.

I would recommend Qantas who code share with BA. Service is pretty standard and the price is usually one of the more competitive ones. Would HIGHLY recommend Singapore airlines too. Their service is fantastic. Malaysian are really nice too..
I always tried to travel via Singapore as the airport is grand and you can go to the onsite hotel during the two over stopover and have a shower which is nice and refreshing. There are even quiet places where you can go and lie down for an hour if you feel like it. Its a lovely airport (as airports go). Bangkok airport is a bit of a hole but I do notice they have opened a new airport now so not sure who is using it yet for the stop-overs.

If you are paying yourself, go economy. The airlines mentioned have decent service and everyone has their own entertainment system. Don't look forward to sleep though as its very difficult to sleep on a full flight in economy. When paying myself I could never justify going business as the price was three times more. If someone else is paying...go business for sure.....

Tip: On two occasions I was travelling alone in business and was upgraded to first. It pays to look fairly respectable and kind of dressed up..Apparently makes you a candidate for upgrade!

Hi,

Planing a trip to OZ for a month at end of Oct. with a stopover in Hong Kong on the way back. Wonder if anyone has done a similar trip and which airline they flew with and what they were like.

We are just deciding on which airline to fly with. they are all similarly priced so more concerned about comfort, service entertainment.

Had a look at Business class - ohh the prices !! anyone did business class to oz?

All comments greatly appreciated

I've flown to Oz with Quantas, Singapore Airlines and United Airlines via San Francisco. I went Business Class with United and it was fantastic.
However, I think pound for pound the Singapore Economy service is hard to beat. Unless you're elderly, unwell, or really minted it's hard to justify 4-6 grand just for a flight, especially if it's out of your own back pocket.

Hi just back from oz and went via hong kong.. flew Cathay Pacific and found them very good and very comfortable.. the only thing that I would have checked is they type of plane..if its an airbus the seats are usually grouped like 2 - 4 - 2 whereas if its one of the big boeing they're grouped 3 -4 -3 which isn't as nice if ur going as a couple...

Flew Business with Qantas in October through Singapore and it was fairly good. except the first seat i was given was wet and they didnt want to move me. Other than that it was very good the seats go flat so you can get plenty of sleep.

I caught the end of a news report on the radio yesterday that said Emirate Airlines (i think) were going to be flying from Dublin to Sydney in the near future. Missed the part about when but they were indicating prices of €750 return.
Maybe someone else heard the full bulletin.

I caught the end of a news report on the radio yesterday that said Emirate Airlines (i think) were going to be flying from Dublin to Sydney in the near future. Missed the part about when but they were indicating prices of €750 return.
Maybe someone else heard the full bulletin.
They are starting August 2007 - I think.

We flew with Quantas a few years ago and the thing I really liked about it was seeing the stewardesses queuing up to hold a baby so as to give the mother a break. You'd never the same on a BA flight.

Hi Flick,
I'm flying to NZ with Qantas next month & back through Australia & Hong Kong. I'll report back when I return.
I've flown with them twice before & with Malaysian once. I must say I couldn't complain about any of the flights - it's the only time that being 5'2" is an asset !
Like a previous poster I would love to do this First or Business but I wouldn't be going at all if I had to pay that fare. Would have to win the lotto first to justify it !

I will dress respectably though (I am a frequent flyer) & hope for the best !

I've noticed Air China are doing a business class fare of Approx €2550 via Beijing. I don't know if anyone has any experience of flying business class with them. I have flown with China Southern and it was terrible in business class. Might be something to consider though.

I've noticed Air China are doing a business class fare of Approx €2550 via Beijing. I don't know if anyone has any experience of flying business class with them.

OH was distinctly unimpressed with them. He said 'they just don't have it'.

Thanks all for the replies..
Hi Perplexed, im booking the flights at the end of next month/start of April so i'd love to know how you got on. i'll look forward to your post then cheers

Hi Flick,
I might be too late for you then. I'm leaving March 15th & back on April 9th.
I'll report back anyway & you know how it goes.

I've noticed Air China are doing a business class fare of Approx €2550 via Beijing. I don't know if anyone has any experience of flying business class with them. I have flown with China Southern and it was terrible in business class. Might be something to consider though.

I would think that for not much more you'd probably get a similar offer on some of the middle eastern airlines (especially with 2 travelling together) ... I've never flown Air China - but based on my experience of other Chinese airlines I would suspect that the Business Class experience wouldn't be up there with the best of them - you'd probably find reviews on http://www.airlinequality.com/

Emirates and some other airlines (Cathay I think as well) sometimes offer mixed class fares which would be something like London-Dubai in Economy and Dubai-Sydney in Business Class ... can be quite a bit cheaper than business class all the way through.

Emirates and some other airlines (Cathay I think as well) sometimes offer mixed class fares which would be something like London-Dubai in Economy and Dubai-Sydney in Business Class ... can be quite a bit cheaper than business class all the way through.

I know Gulf Air were doing a great business class fare last year, (approx €2500 pp) for two people travelling together but I don't think they are that cheap anymore. I'd say at that price the seats were snapped up pretty quickly. I would be interested to know if any company was offering similar.

Cheapest that trailfinders seem to advertise is with China Airlines at that price level of ~2500 .. China Airlines is better than Air China (the former is Taiwan... later is state run mainland chinese airline) .. particularly as the routing would be probably something odd like via Amsterdam, Bangkok and Taipei

Club Travel show Gulf Air fares starting at about 2700 - no idea what availability is like though.... certainly that would be a better deal than with China Airlines for 2500 as it's a much better airline and more direct.

Back