Flights - Caribbean ex Dublin

Round Tuit

Looking at meeting up with some people from the US on a small island called Vieques in the Caribbean. Nearest main airport seems to be on Puerto Rico.
[broken link removed]

Looking for advise on best options/combinations to get there from Dublin?

It depends on how many stops you wish to make en route.
Best option more than likely is Delta from Dublin to Atlanta to San Juan.Direct Flights and the stopovers are excellent usually short.

These airlines also serve San Juan.
, BWIA, [broken link removed], Continental, , British Airways, , , [broken link removed], , [broken link removed], and Virgin Atlantic.

You can get the ferry to Vieques.

Some more info
http://www.b-v-i.com/Transportation/SanJuanAirport/

Thanks for that tall chappy - as I only have tentative dates I have begun my trawl of ebookers type sites to try to find an option that doesn't break the bank while also not taking about 3 days each way! It's bloody expensive but one of those dream places that if you don't go when you get the chance you probably never will. Can you tell I'm trying to justify it to myself?

If you have the time, the money,the passport,the visa and permission :)D) go !!!. personally, I would bring someone with me if I could, so you could share the moments watching the sun go down.
March is a good time to go to the Caribbean, then you only have to sort out your accomodation !!!

Short stopovers
DELTA - €717.72
Carrier
Flight # Cabin &
Class Departs Arrives Stops From Time/Date To Time/Date Delta 128 Coach (L) DUB 11:40am
01 Mar 2006 ATL 3:40pm
01 Mar 2006 0 Delta 966 Coach (L) ATL 6:10pm
01 Mar 2006 SJU 10:45pm
01 Mar 2006 0 Delta 952 Coach (L) SJU 1:42pm
08 Mar 2006 ATL 4:39pm
08 Mar 2006 0 Delta 128 Coach (L) ATL 7:00pm
08 Mar 2006 DUB 9:40am
09 Mar 2006 1
Continental - Approx - €675
Total Price [broken link removed] $833.45 [broken link removed] Flight Details: Depart:

9:00 a.m.
Wed., Mar. 1, 2006
Dublin, Ireland (DUB) [broken link removed] Arrive:

11:30 a.m.
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) [broken link removed] Flight Time:
7 hr 30 mn

[broken link removed] OnePass Miles/ Elite Qualification:
3,193/100%

[broken link removed] Flight: CO23
Aircraft: Boeing 757-200
Fare Class: Economy (Q)
Meals: Breakfast

[broken link removed]Change Planes. Connect time in New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) is 1 hour 30 minutes.

Depart:

1:00 p.m.
Wed., Mar. 1, 2006
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) [broken link removed] Arrive:

5:47 p.m.
San Juan, PR (SJU) [broken link removed] Flight Time:
3 hr 47 mn

Travel Time:
12 hr 47 mn

1,608/100%

Total Miles:

[broken link removed] Flight: CO472
Fare Class: Economy (X)
Meals: Lunch

[broken link removed] Depart:

2:10 p.m.
Wed., Mar. 8, 2006
San Juan, PR (SJU) [broken link removed] Arrive:

5:14 p.m.
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) [broken link removed] Flight Time:
4 hr 4 mn

1,608/100%

[broken link removed] Flight: CO466
Fare Class: Economy (W)
Meals: Lunch

[broken link removed]Change Planes. Connect time in New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) is 2 hours 56 minutes.

Depart:

8:10 p.m.
Wed., Mar. 8, 2006
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) [broken link removed] Arrive:

7:30 a.m. +1 Day
Dublin, Ireland (DUB) [broken link removed] Flight Time:
6 hr 20 mn

Travel Time:
13 hr 20 mn

3,193/100%

Total Miles:

[broken link removed] Flight: CO22
Fare Class: Economy (Q)
Meals: Dinner

EBOOKERS - €693, BUT IF YOU BOOK THIS VIA http://www.traveljungle.co.uk FOR THE EXACT SAME FLIGHTS - £470 = APPROX €676 1. Dublin [DUB]
Dublin
Depart: 16:00
Wed 01 Mar 06
to New York [JFK]
John F Kennedy
Arrive: 18:30
Wed 01 Mar 06

TERMINAL 4 Aer Lingus # 109
Duration: 7.30 hours
Aircraft: Airbus A330 Jet
Meals: Not specified
non smoking 2. New York [JFK]
John F Kennedy
Depart: 21:50
Wed 01 Mar 06

TERMINAL 9 to San Juan [SJU]
Luis Munoz Marin Intl
Arrive: 02:32
Thu 02 Mar 06

TERMINAL D American Airlines #1169
Duration: 3.42 hours
Aircraft: Airbus A300 Jet
Meals: Snack or brunch
non smoking 3. San Juan [SJU]
Luis Munoz Marin Intl
Depart: 16:25
Wed 08 Mar 06

TERMINAL D to New York [JFK]
John F Kennedy
Arrive: 19:30
Wed 08 Mar 06

TERMINAL 9 American Airlines # 610
Duration: 4.05 hours
Aircraft: Airbus A300 Jet
Meals: Dinner
non smoking 4. New York [JFK]
John F Kennedy
Depart: 20:45
Wed 08 Mar 06

TERMINAL 4 to Shannon [SNN]
Shannon Airport
Arrive: 08:00
Thu 09 Mar 06
Aer Lingus # 108
Duration: 6.15 hours
non smoking 5. Shannon [SNN]
Shannon Airport
Depart: 08:45
Thu 09 Mar 06
to Dublin [DUB]
Dublin
Arrive: 09:30
Thu 09 Mar 06
Aer Lingus # 108
Duration: 0.45 hours
non smoking
Total cost

No. Type Price Each Total 1 Adult Fare 630.00 EUR 630.00 EUR 1 Adult Tax & Booking Fee 63.19 EUR 63.19 EUR 693.19 EUR

Goes to show you that Ebookers.ie are frequently dearer than booking direct. I always find the airlines site to be a good 10-25% cheaper than ebookers.

Interesting tall chappy - I think I'm definitely going - what visa? do I need a visa for there? Something else I'm going to have to research now. People I'm meeting are going in November (probably early) so I don't have any choice on dates.Interesting comments on ebookers type sites - apart from Aerlingus.com (which is no use for this scenario) I've always used them. Presumably there are no problems booking with other airlines direct - it's just fear of the unknown on my part.

"Presumably there are no problems booking with other airlines direct - it's just fear of the unknown on my part"

The problems seem to be discussed here EUjet debacle

I do not think you require a visa for puerto rico as it is a US dominion.
The bonus of traveling via Dublin is you that you do immigration control here. You may have to go through it again in San Juan.
November is not a bad time to go , ending of the hurricane season. Check out the prices online and then check via a travel agent. The main benefit of this is that the flight can be easier to change with less cost, especially if something happens, which it wont ; )
Have a ball and tell us what you decided.

http://www.prfaa.com/eng/QuestionsTravel.asp

Are there any visa requirements for visiting Puerto Rico?

Note: Travel Requirements to Puerto Rico Remain Unchanged. Click here for update.

Given Puerto Rico’s relationship to the U.S., traveling to and from Puerto Rico is much like traveling between the 50 states. Therefore, no passport or immunizations are necessary for a U.S. citizen or national traveling to Puerto Rico. However, some form of identification, for example a driver’s license, passport or an original copy of a birth certificate, should be carried to evidence U.S. citizenship or nationality.

Resident aliens residing in the U.S. traveling to the Commonwealth are required to have a valid passport and an appropriate U.S. visa, if required by the U.S. State Department.* (www.state.gov/travel)

Because arriving in Puerto Rico from a foreign country is considered arriving in the U.S., persons who are not U.S. citizens, nationals or resident aliens traveling to Puerto Rico from a foreign country should contact the U.S. State Department* about visa and other requirements for entry into the U.S. (www.state.gov/travel/)

I checked Lonely Planet's website & it says it's the same as going on hols to US, if you don't need a visa for NYC etc then you won't need a visa for Puerto Rico. . . apparently.

Re: Post hol update

I'm now back home with my tan and am reporting that I had a ball. Vieques is a small island off Puerto Rico - very laid back, extremely friendly (all the locals wave and want to know what you think of their island), the US navy used it for training ops in the past and now that they've pulled out there are fabulous empty beaches, with turquoise warm water, accessible via overgrown disused runways etc and a large part of the island is National Park.
The Bioluminescent Bay is apparently one of the best in the world, micro-organisms in the mangrove-surrounded water glow when disturbed, the environmental group there do tours when there's no moon and it is unbelievable, you can get in (they give you flotation belts) and the water glows around you when you move. I would recommend that to anyone in the vicinity. It's only a 20 minute flight (an experience in itself) from San Juan in Puerto Rico or a 1 hour ferry trip from Fahardo in Puerto Rico to Vieques.
I flew Continental to newark and then San Juan (E630 total return) and then Cape Air to Vieques. I found continental great apart from the dodgy pizza they serve on their internal US flights. For the international flight the food was great, I liked the individual screens where you could choose your TV/movie etc (they had CSI Las Vegas, Miami and NY so I was happy), staff accommodating and check-in smooth. I packed light and they have a generous carry on allowance anyway so I didn't need to check in any luggage - which is a comfort when you have transfers etc. Though I did find a bit of a communications lapse regarding Homeland Security's new us-visit checkout machines, because I'd checked through from San Juan I didn't realise I had to do all that fingerprint/photo stuff again.

Good to hear you had a great time and that you got a decent price for the flight
PS - Thanks for getting back to us all

Back