flight length Dublin/Orlando

tomthumb

Anyone know how long a flight takes Dublin to Orlando and what time difference thanks

8-9 hours - we went via Gatwick last May and I think it was roughly 9 hours from Gatwick so it wd be about 8 from Dublin. Homeland security in Orlando was a nightmare. They take your luggage from you once you've picked it up and for your "convencience" send it to the other end of the airport near the exit for you to collect on the way out. We also had to do the whole bags/belts/shoes stripoff just to get OUT of the airport.

Tomthumb

Just did this in October and it was a bloody nightmare.. 9 hour flight and then it took us 2 hrs to get through customs etc on the other side.... The reason its 9 hrs is that it goes the same air path as the NY flight and then comes down, Coming back we stopped in Shannon! but the flight was only 7 hours..

Mmmm 9 hours we could just about survive but the 2 hours when you arrive! Thanks for the info!

as regards airport security, its a good idea to wear slipon shoes for ease of removal-the white socks are strictly optional :) daithi

Why do they have such security at the far end? In LAX its simply collect bag and walk out the door to the street. 20 mins max.

bond-007 said:
Why do they have such security at the far end? In LAX its simply collect bag and walk out the door to the street. 20 mins max.

Probably not so much security as immigration- if you fly via the UK you'll have to clear immigration in the US when you land. Depending on when your plane arrives, you might have to share the immigration queue with lots of other arriving planes.
If you fly from Dublin, you clear US immigration in Dublin, and can, as you say, collect the bags and be on the street in 20 minutes.

Ah yes, plus you get a bigger grilling from the US based immigration. You can't get clearing immigration in Dublin.

Homeland security were obnoxious when we got there. We had booked a house which is allocated on arrival and the woman was screaming at me "we need to know where you're gonna be at while you are here" even though I had all of the documentation from the travel agents. Then I got questioned by a customs official while waiting on my husband at the baggage carousel - he had just gone off to get our friends. Then we had customs, then I was picked out and searched again (people were picked out of Q at random). The whole yukky experience just put me off ever going back.

Did anybody ever see the "no jokes" sign at some US airport immigration areas? No joke!

ClubMan said:
Did anybody ever see the "no jokes" sign at some US airport immigration areas? No joke!
Indeed, I have seen these signs at baggage screening points in LAX.

Danmo said:
Homeland security were obnoxious when we got there. We had booked a house which is allocated on arrival and the woman was screaming at me "we need to know where you're gonna be at while you are here" even though I had all of the documentation from the travel agents. Then I got questioned by a customs official while waiting on my husband at the baggage carousel - he had just gone off to get our friends. Then we had customs, then I was picked out and searched again (people were picked out of Q at random). The whole yukky experience just put me off ever going back.
I will never fly to Orlando on the basis of your report. I have always found the immigration people in Dublin to be polite and friendly, certainly no screaming at people if anything they would assist you complete the forms.

This woman was having a really bad day. She kept sending people to the back of the Q to fill in their green card again because she said it was filled in inadequately - but the couple we travelled with were in a different Q and the guy there just grunted and let them through. I spose we just got a headcase. I have to say though the whole security thing was so aggressive.

bond-007 said:

Security is so bad because of 9-11.

Back