Flat Screen TV?

kerbs

Hi there
I am hoping to buy a new flat screen TV in the next week or two and know nothing about different models etc..
So I was hoping to do the lazy girls option and ask what people here would recommend??
I am thinking around 32 inches but nothing that would need to be put on a wall. Would just like something which is good quality.. would not like to pay more then 2k if possible.
Any recommendations?? Also I have been reading about komplett.ie on other posts- is this a cheaper option? They only seem to have samsung TVs - would other posters recommend these??
Thanks a mill!
kerbs

Re: Flat Screen TV??

2k will buy you a savge flat screen, that is quite a lot to spend considering 999 will buy a 32" phillips HD ready at the mo in all the usual places.
It seems fine only bad thing was that we had a Samsung ( the black one, most slick designed TV out there I think ) 26" in its place before we moved it to the bedroom.
The Phuillips now in comparison seems poor quality.
Basically for 2k you can buy the Samsung 32" and have some change I think.
Of both the Samsung is far superior, I think most reviews in the techy nerdy mags say the same too.

I have a 26" Samsung in my kitchen mounted on the wall, pic quality is excellent, I got it from Pixmania, I had it in 2 days, but there are some other posts on here of people that have had a bad deal with them, maybe I was just lucky.

heres a link to a 32" £721 plus shipping, should come in under €1200

I have a Samsung 40" HD and it's the business, picture's excellent. Cost €2200 or thereabouts a couple of months ago, so you'll have no problem getting change back on a 32". There is a 32" version of my one out there, shiny black with a V shaped bottom, lovely TV. I personally bought mine in Power City and got it for almost €400 less than DID's 'best price'. So shop around.

I know of people that bought from pixmania and had problems with the delivery but as johndoe64 says, he got it in 2 days so maybe it's sorted now.

maybe it was because I paid for the express delivery, I can get that 40" version for €1900 at the moment so it's defo worth shopping around.

maybe it was because I paid for the express delivery, I can get that 40" version for €1900 at the moment so it's defo worth shopping around.

Don't say that to me! Well it was 4 months ago so I can't complain I suppose. I wouldn't change my TV for the world though, money well spent IMO!

you will have to decide on either LCD or Plasma and in the 32" LCD range u shouldnt spend more the 1200.I bought the Philips LCD in July for close to 1300 and see it is now available for 999
Samsung is good also but personally didnt like the shiny black finish

Hi,

Curries in Carrickmines have according to them the largest display of flat screens tvs. I popped in and their is great choice and the prices aren't bad you will easily get a really good samsung 37inch for approx 1600. You may well fare better on pixmania or komplett.

MAJJ

Just for clarity, most of the discussion so far has been on . From the op, it's not 100% clear which you are looking for.
I am thinking around 32 inches but nothing that would need to be put on a wall. Would just like something which is good quality.
Flat panel would be needed for wall mounting. You say you don't require this so you may simply want a "flat screen" (provides better viewing angle and less problems with light/glare). A "flat screen" CRT (traditional tv with deeper back) would be considerably cheeper and (according to most reviews/opinions) of better quality.

Going for a "flat panel" tv will give you more options should you ever wish to change the location (wall mount in bedroom etc.) or if you're short on space. Given the budget you mention you may well have ment "flat panel" but thought I'd mention it just to be safe.

Something that's always puzzled me about this debate is that if CRT TVs are regarded as having much better picture quality- is the only reason people buy LCD/Plasma screens for space saving/style etc-surely the picture quality is and should be the primary reason for buying a TV...

Don't say that to me! Well it was 4 months ago so I can't complain I suppose. I wouldn't change my TV for the world though, money well spent IMO!

Roxy, I bought mine from Power City too but asked for a cash discount and got it for €2100....Still re; the €1900 the other poster paid...We'll have to be happy in the knowledge that we helped nurture our local store !

r2d2

Roxy, I bought mine from Power City too but asked for a cash discount and got it for €2100....Still re; the €1900 the other poster paid...We'll have to be happy in the knowledge that we helped nurture our local store !

r2d2

I stand corrected, was on the phone to Mr Roxy there and he said it was €2200 including the matching home cinema system and a Hoover. Don't feel ripped off anymore now!

Nurture smurture r2d2, I'm all for the discounts me!

I stand corrected, was on the phone to Mr Roxy there and he said it was €2200 including the matching home cinema system and a Hoover. Don't feel ripped off anymore now!

Nurture smurture r2d2, I'm all for the discounts me!

Yeah yeah.....Oh and I forgot to mention that I got them to throw in a range cooker and one of those big American walk in fridges and a €200 voucher for The Mill and an Indian head massage as well......

Yeah yeah.....Oh and I forgot to mention that I got them to throw in a range cooker and one of those big American walk in fridges and a €200 voucher for The Mill and an Indian head massage as well......

LOL Must get on to them and complain, then again maybe they don't do Indian Head massage in Blanchardstown!

Kerbs, so sorry for hyjacking!

I will be in the market for a flat panel with flat screen shortly but thought i was going to be confined to 37'' lcd. measured that new samsung model up in hardly normals last sunday and I can easily get the 40' samsung into the space with plenty to spare. because the speakers are behind the screen apparantly. looks smashing too. but because I dont think anyone can repair them if they breakdown I am seriously thinking of purchasing the 5 year additional cover. I enquired about what it entailed last Sunday and basically was informed that Samsung ( or their agents) came to the house and tried to repair. failing that they removed it and if it couldnt be repaired, replaced it. also even if they repaired it and it broke down 3 times in the 5 years with the same problem they just replaced it. dont know how true or false this statement is.