Flat screen TV over fire - bad idea?

onekeano

I was out sourcing a hole in the wall fire for a new extension and thought came to me that having a flat screen TV 12" or so above it could be a problem given the rising heat.

When I asked the sales person if this was an issue she seemed very non-commital. I'm just wondering if anyone on AAM has done this and if so have there been any problems?

Roy

to be honest neither of those threads give any help as to the posers questions....

but from a theorical point of view.... all the excess radiant heat from the fire should be drawn up the chimney, if the chimney 'smokes' then you may have a problem... otherwise if you have at least 100mm of concrete blockwork between the tv and the flue you should be alright...

friend of mine has this situation for the last 5 months and no problems yet.....

Have seen that quite alot. you have nothing to worry about. Take candles on mantle pieces as an example they never melt!!

Do people not feel that the tv is too high for comfortable viewing when over fireplace? I mean its a good use of space if not but I cant see it being ideal otherwise...?

Judging by the latest interior design ideas, people seem to have gone off the idea of putting the flat screen TV over the fire. Im going for the very low type cabinet - that seems to be the trend now + no hassle. IMHO

My neighbours put a plasma over the new marble fireplace in their extension and had to have the new fireplace cut right down to allow for comfortable viewing from the sofa! OK from a distance but when put to the test they had to alter.

I read in an English homes magazine that the only type of fireplace a TV should be placed over is a 'hole in the wall' type where the flames are set right back from the opening - otherwise heat/fumes rising will damage the plazma.

Radiators, over time, generally leave usually a heat bloom on walls above the radiator. I assume a fire would be the same probably worse. I wouldn't put a TV on a fireplace.

The Gazco Studio range (hole in the wall fire) specifications allow a LCD/Plasma TV positioned above it.