Flat roof construction?

Roundy#

Looking on advice for construction of a flat roof for a new build. Now i know flat roofs can be problamatic, and the general consensous would be to go for a pitched roof. However, in my case a flat roof would suit this particular section of my house better.

Its a small section of roof 5.6m x 2.5m - partially over what will be the utility. It will extend out from the main span of my roof (which is pitched at ~35deg).

Not sure if I'll go for a concrete screed/plywood with asphalt finish or for plywood with TRUCAL or similar product.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

I used a plywood and rubberised membrane. I should probably have gone for the concrete screed and rubberised membrane. Bear in mind how the water wil be taken off i.e. at a single point or a full gutter

What type of membrane did you use and what sizes did the sheets come in? Suppose what i'm getting at is do you get someone to use plastic welding on it or was it a d.i.y. ?
thanks

Trocol or an EPDM like Firestone would be the best of the single ply membranes in my opinion , there are other pvc's that would be as good like Braas or hi-tuff all the pvc's are welded or solvent and would not be tried by the average DIY'r, welding is an art and will take some time and training to get used to, I might be able to help you find someone to do this roof depending on where you live, if not I'll help with more advice if you like

I had a flat roof done a few years back and the guy used glass fribre, brialliant finish, lasts for years and never leaks. Its like the stuff they use in boats.

naoh

don't forget that it shouldn't literally be flat, a slight incline away from your house will make all the difference, even if it is just sticking a batten at one end to give it an extra inch or so incline..

Bskinti,

I think I might go for the trocal method.............if i can find a someone to do it for me............I'm in the waterford area

thanks

I uses Alkorplan. The sheets are hot welded. Not sure of the size but I'd say 1.5m approx. The fall is 1 in 40. Heard a lot of good things about Sarnafil also

Back