Flat pack furniture- am I the only one who hates it?

Luckycharm

I really hate flat pack furniture given I have very little DIY skills and the instructions always seem to be useless everything takes me hours to put together. Does anyone else have the same problems?

I got a chest of drawers the other week took me about 4hrs to put together nearly had all done then of course could not get last drawer together :( Took it back to the shop who put together with new pieces at least it took them 30 mins so did not feel so bad.
Got a table and 6 chairs last xmas- the chairs took me forever 2 I have never fully got together and are very loose, would I be cheeky to bring them back now to see if they could fix them. The need allen keys but it nearly impossible to get at the screws i.e you can turn a tiny bit a time.

I actually "like" putting flat pack stuff together (how sad!) but I would agree with you that the instructions are usually very poor. It helps if you have proper tools (quality hex/ allen keys, quality screwdrivers and a cordless drill/ driver) when putting stuff together.

I have very little DIY skills
Maybe this is the problem?
and the instructions always seem to be useless everything takes me hours to put together. Does anyone else have the same problems?
Nope - I've assembled dozens of flat pack units with no problems.
would I be cheeky to bring them back now to see if they could fix them.
Yes - unless there is some fault with the product.
The need allen keys but it nearly impossible to get at the screws i.e you can turn a tiny bit a time.
See point 1 above.

I actually "like" putting flat pack stuff together (how sad!) but I would agree with you that the instructions are usually very poor. It helps if you have proper tools (quality hex/ allen keys, quality screwdrivers and a cordless drill/ driver) when putting stuff together.

Are you what your name suggests - if so I would imagine you would be alot better at it then me. After putting together everything when I first moved in with just normal screwdrivers which was painful - I got a properish one. With the chairs it is just not very accessible to get at the screws with proper allen keys.

Flat pack can be a pain alright.

A few suggestions:

Identify and count all (and I mean all) components before you do anything. If anything is missing/substandard - get on to the manufacturer. I've done this in the past and they have supplied replacements immediately without quibble.

Never use any "tools" provided - unless they are unique/very specific - use your own.

Always have help - at least 2 people are required for every flatpack I've tackled.

Don't make assumptions/take shortcuts - follow the instructions in sequence and to the letter.

Re your current problems - don't think you would have a case to take them back but some of these companies (manufacturers, not suppliers) have a reasonable customer service line - they might offer some help/advice?

I always dream of the day when I can afford to buy a piece of furniture that doesnt arrive flat packed and waiting for me to skin my knuckles and spend hours putting together.

One of the reasons I hate it more than anything is the occasional screw hole slightly mis-aligned, and then theres those bits that sometimes get left over..... Im always left wondering if I forgot to use them or are they spare parts?

My brother in law had lots of "spare parts" left over that should have been used when he attempted to assemble some bedside units. I had to disassemble them and start again. Luckily he hadn't bothered to read the bit about glueing some of the dowels either.

Bought a very small computer desk in PC world for 29 euro. Graet deal I thought but took me 3.5 hours to assemble and its wobbley. Flat pack is a disaster.

Maybe this is the problem?

Nope - I've assembled dozens of flat pack units with no problems.

Yes - unless there is some fault with the product.

See point 1 above.

I would not be looking for replacements just a bit of help getting them put together properly.

Clubman- given you generally have good advice in every single part of this forum from Financial to DIY you must be an expert at everything- your wife(if married) is a lucky lady ;)

Clubman- given you generally have good advice in every single part of this forum from Financial to DIY you must be an expert at everything- your wife(if married) is a lucky lady ;)
My wife is indeed married. Thanks.

My advice is to not let the man of the house near it - in my case anyway. I not only count everything I put each different screw/piece/whatever into a clear plastic container (to see through) with a lid on. That way if kids are there, you get distracted, leave it till tomorrow you have everything in a safe place. I also read the instructions through before beginning, and then read them as I'm doing it. I also double check what's top/bottom side etc and get a general idea of the way it should go before starting. My experience with male relations is as follows: No 1 who is a carpenter put together a child's bicycle on the birthday morning - bad idea. Didn't read the instructions, put on the wheels, wrong way round with the axel, couldn't get wheels off, had to get an angle grinder to get them off etc... No 2 who is in the building game putting together a wardrobe, didn't read the instructions, put on panels incorrectly had bits left over and the wardrobe is non too steady, No 3. my husband, he started putting a very easy Ikea shelf unit together - to help me when I was out of the house :( - don't quite know what he did, but I had to take it apart and start again and he left all the bits in a neat little row on a ledge one foot from the ground overnight with 3 young kids in the house.

No generalisations, just facts in relation to 3 different men and these were only in relation to flat packs. Don't get me started at incapable of changing a plug, turning on lawnmower, putting up shelf, hanging a picture, catching a horse, putting in a phone (when you work in Eircom), changing a spare tyre.:D When given the excuses my own particular phrase for these is the 'dear Lizza syndrome'

Back