Flash Web Sites - Tutorials

kmelvin

Hi,

Could someone recommend a good book or website for tutorials on creating Flash websites from scratch?

I've tried google and found mainly general video tutorials.

I'm looking for written tutorials - aimed mainly at web site creastion.

www.flashkit.com is a great resource for flash. there a section under tutorials called 'getting started' and that covers most basics.

There is a publishing company called 'friends of ed' and they do an excellent range of software books. I'd highly recommend their 'Foundation Flash 8' book.

When you say 'web site creation' do you mean how to upload it to the web or the theory of designing it (e.g scripting buttons and stuff)?

Thanks Paddi22,

I actually mean both - creating a web site (using Flash) - including creating an animated intro, menus, animated buttons, photo gallery etc .and then uploading it.

Also, could recommend somewhere decent (and cheap) to host a flash site?

Thanks for your help

Karl

My workplace uses Webworld for their hosting but I'm not sure how they relate pricewise to other hosting companies. The company beside us use Blacknight.ie for their hosting. Apparently they do a cheap basic plan for hosting and domain reg.

If you are in a hurry to get a website up theres a great site called www.templatemonster.com which sells complete flash sites included intros for cheap prices. The sites are really well designed and professional looking. Its also a great site if you are looking for inspiration for layout ideas or navigation.

Paddi, again thanks a lot.

That site has some ideas that I can play with.

Let me know if you know of other such sites with cool sample Flash sites I can draw inspiration from.

Thanks again

Karl

Heya,

What functions is your site for, is it a personal one or for a business?

There has been a huge move away from flash in general for websites. There is pressure nowadays for websites to be compliant with accessability standards and CSS is usually the way to go with sites for businesses. Also there has been a shift from the 'intro heavy' websites of the past few years. Studies have shown that users just get annoyed with 'bells and whistles' flourishes and generally skip intros. Most people just want to access the info they want as quickly and clearly as possible.

Flash still has its place tho and is a great program!www.coolhomepages.com has some great examples of flash sites and also navigation ideas. This link http://www.creativeireland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990&highlight=flash has some great examples and the CI forum is great if you are stuck on technical problems.

The site is for personal use.

Its actually a present for a friend. I've been developing ASP sites for
years in my job and want to branch out my skills.

Flash simply looks cool - theres a lot things I've seen and want to attempt myself.

CSS is a lot easier to use and create generic professional sites - but
I'm really looking to create something a little unique.

Thanks for all your help Paddi.

Paddi, as you are the 'man to go to' when it comes to web development, can you recommend a good broadband provider (I live in Dublin)?

I was going to try the max package with NTL (€39.99 per month and 40 gB cap).

Can you recommend somewhere else?

Many Thanks

Karl

Sorry wouldn't have a clue about the best broadband packages, we got ours from eircom ages ago so wouldn't know up to date prices!

If you want to create really impressive flash sites, theres an 3d flash program called Swift3d http://www.swift3d.com/... a lot of the really impressive looking flash websites seem to use it and its fairly easy to learn, you'd prob pick it up in no time

No problem.

That application looks cool but out of my prices range for now.

Thanks again Paddi.

Take Care

Karl

Back