Fixing Plasterboard directly to Block Wall

colmanmc

Hi All,

I'm renovating a house at the minute and am planning to fix plasterboard slabs to the walls and ceiling myself and then get a pal to skim.

Some of the plasterboard slabs will be fixed to the existing internal black walls and he recommended fixing them using type of frame fixing which he doesn't know the name of! Hopefully someone here will know what its called.

It basically like a large thumb tack, made out of white plastic. You drill through the plasterboard and into the wall, and hammer in the fixing through the hole. Top of fixing is about 3/4 inch in diameter, and takes a 8mm drill bit. Not sure if this makes sense, hope so!!!

Should you not be mounting the plasterboard on battens fixed to the wall rather than directly to the wall!?

Should you not be mounting the plasterboard on battens fixed to the wall rather than directly to the wall!?

Am doing this for the external walls, with insulated plasterboard, don't think its necessary for internal ones. Just want to give them a good finish and the existing walls aren't in great condition.

I know you can fix them to the walls with plaster dabs, but i'd prefer to mechanically fix them to make sure they stay on!

Last edited:
hes prob taking about either the lafarge studding, which is a metal frame type or you could always blob the board straight to the wall using some type of mix, not sure of the name of it but alot of builders are using that method

Kingspan recommend using a combination both AFAIK- dab bonding and mushroom fixings. A bead of adhesive around the bottom and top edges of the boards will prevent air leakage too and this can greatly improve the performance of the lining.

As far as I know there is a frame system supplied by Gypsum called gyproc metal furring system (available for building providers). This is used instead of fixing battans to the wall. Also from my research (as mentioned earlier) it is my understanding that the mushroom fixings are for use with adhesive i.e. the dab method and you usually use about 3 per board. There's some good info on [broken link removed]

It basically like a large thumb tack, made out of white plastic. You drill through the plasterboard and into the wall, and hammer in the fixing through the hole. Top of fixing is about 3/4 inch in diameter, and takes a 8mm drill bit. Not sure if this makes sense, hope so!!!

I used the mushroom fittings and bonding to fix insulation backed plasterboard to 9" cavity blocks and it was nightmare if you didn't get a sound hole for the fitting. What I mean is if you hit the cavity in the block with the drill. The fitting just won't grab and it's a b to get them out again as I had to because I was taping and jointing but you could leave them there if your skimming.

I would only do it again with solid 4" block or fix battens to the wall.

My slabber is due to start this week and he is just using bonding. It's sufficent and strong enough to fix the slabs compared to drilling etc..

Thanks for all your replies.

I don't want to just bond the plasterboard to the wall as the existing plaster finish is poor and is flaking off in places.

So, if I go into a builders providers and ask for 'mushroom fixings', will they know what I'm taking about?

Colmanmac

As you will know the plasterboard comes in different depths. You will have to get the mushroom fixings (as they too come in different depths) that suit the depth of the plasterboard you are using. Just give the depth to the suppliers. Mushroom fixings(your thumb tacks I think) are plastic fittings that look like mushrooms which are sunk into the plaster and should sit flush with the plaster (wall) when finished. You can then give each fixing a light plaster skim.

Cheers

I feel that you will also need some bonding adhesive there as well. Gypsum also do a product called "Thistlebond it". I just applied some to my walls at the weekend, it's like an emulsion paint with coarse sand mixed through it. It makes the surface really rough and forms a good base for sticking to.

I was delighted to see the tip on 9 " cavity blocks from Davidoco as part of my project involves these and mushrooms. A least it did until I read his reply.
F.
ps "thistlebond it" was difficult to source, most merchants thought it was a joke (especially when my wife rang around)

Back