Fixing mortgage

guideanna

hi all,

the million dollar question....should i fix or stay on variable...

just looking for any opinions i suppose.

I've been looking into switching mortgage lenders to avail of lower rates as there seems to be lots of offers on (paid legal fees etc) but when i do the sums and consider the hassle involved i'm thinking that switching to a fixed rate with my current lender may save me money in the short term.
I'm currently paying 4.35% and if i fix for 2 years i can get at 3.8%, which would be a difference of almost €100 pm on what i currently pay.

I had a .25% reduction back in November but i suppose i'm just wondering is there any talk of the banks reducing their variable rates again any time soon. Seems like the tracker mortgages are having all the fun these days..:-(
I'd be .55% lower if i go to fixed now but do you think variable is likely to be reduced further in the next 12-18mts?

Hi.

Im in the same boat-Im very suspicious about the fixed rate being lower than the variable-would suggest that normal competition is resuming and lenders will have to reduce rates to avoid losing business.

Would be interested in others opinions. Sorry for not helping much!

Same boat here. I am planning to fix mine to one year as it is the lowest % BOI offers but then I am afraid that once the year is over they don't let me fix it again and they have me in a high variable for s while. Does anyone know about this?

Back