Fixing might be a bad idea because SF might not give tax relief to fixers

rob oyle

Would this prevent them from getting mortgage interest relief, under the SF plan, since they would be protected from further interest rate increases?

Agree.

Legally and practically it would be very difficult to give MIR to those on trackers but not the rest of us.
We really don't do targeted measures unless you're on the dole or retired. If a measure falls outside those groupings we all get it. Just look at the electricity credit.

Don't let the tax relief tail wag the dog.

Especially when the tax relief tail is purely speculative.

Brendan
I'd no way of adding a sarcasm note there! ;-)
Not to take your thread off topic but I couldn't believe that someone would call for a tax break specifically for those on the lowest rates of interest over the last 15+ years. Probably should have been a new thread.

Kwasi Doherty’s idea to re-introduce MIR for trackers only is one of the daftest ideas I’ve heard for a very long time.

I managed to qualify for MIR for over 20 years and cumulatively it was worth a lot to me. Why the taxpayer was subsidising my purchase of a private asset was always a mystery to me and the abolition of MIR a few years ago was long overdue IMO.

I managed to qualify for .mortgage interest tax relief for a house I bought in mid 2012 - approx two months from the bottom of the post crash house price cycle! At that stage the tax relief had been obolisged but had been reintroduced to benefit those who bought at the peak of the Celtic tiger. This illustrates why this tax relief is a bad idea - it is difficult to target and regressive, plus it feeds house price inflation.

Further evidence that Kwasi Doherty and Sinn Fein/IRA should not be let near our economy. Once they’ve disbanded the Special Criminal Court to help members of their paramilitary wing, next up will be a hatchet job on the economy.

It’s crucial that this particular drum is banged over and over again.

Gordon

It may well backfire. Most politicians will tell you that all publicity is good publicity. While there are some exceptions your continuous highlighting of them is just raising their profile even further.

If it's any consolation, Martin and Varadkar are making the same mistake. Talking about SF's policies rather than their own.

Brendan

If it's any consolation, Martin and Varadkar are making the same mistake. Talking about SF's policies rather than their own.
Totally agree with this. Those under 35 have no real memory of the IRA. What they do have memory of is the various crises that have taken place under FF/FG. When FF/FG attack SF over IRA ties, it reeks of a knee-jerk reaction to deflect fom their own failings, and a focus on the past rather than fixing the policy issues of today.

There is plenty to attack in SFs policies, as has been demonstrated in this thread. Name calling only serves to divide and alienate people, and create an "us vs them" mentality where people become further entrenched in their beliefs rather than moving towards one another. We only need to look at our nearest neighbours east and west to see examples of where that ends up.

Totally agree with this. Those under 35 have no real memory of the IRA. What they do have memory of is the various crises that have taken place under FF/FG. When FF/FG attack SF over IRA ties, it reeks of a knee-jerk reaction to deflect fom their own failings, and a focus on the past rather than fixing the policy issues of today.

There is plenty to attack in SFs policies, as has been demonstrated in this thread. Name calling only serves to divide and alienate people, and create an "us vs them" mentality where people become further entrenched in their beliefs rather than moving towards one another. We only need to look at our nearest neighbours east and west to see examples of where that ends up.
I would worry about the sound bites from Sinn Fein. Eg homes for all etc. You rightly point out looking at our nearest neighbours. Look at the effect the mini budget had on their economy.

If you spook the market who loan Ireland Inc its money with questionable policies we all pay the price for it. Ask the English public how the mini budget affected them (even though a lot of the measures introduced were subsequently abolished). The damage was done.

Back