Fixing edging to kitchen counter?

D8Lady

Hi there,

Does anyone know the best way to fix a veneer strip (supplied with new kitchen) to the edge of a new kiten counter?

The instructions that came with it said to use PVA and an iron but didn't get any more specific than that.

Would something like no more nails be usefull fixing the veneer to the chipboard edge?

Any help appreciated.
D8L

If the edging has a rough plastic back then you can most likely use a clothes iron. If so I recomend you cut off a small portion and do a test run on a surface similar to the counter first to put your mind at ease.

As it happens I had someone fit an extra piece of worktop yesterday and when it came to the edging he asked for an iron-some of these are preglued-and a hot iron-applied to it-over heavy brown paper activates the glue.
However my edging turned out not to be pre-glued so he told me to get some Evo Stik Impact Adhesive and use that-he said ordinary wood glue will no do.
Warning: If u are using an iron-do not apply it directly to the strip-use brown paper.Obviously when its set u would remove the excess with a sharp blade.

Wow, that was fast. Thanks for the replies folks.

Just to clarify a point, I apply the glue and iron on, using brown paper, while its still tacky? Do I wait for a bit?

Thanks again.
D8L

No-you need to establish if it is pre-glued.If it is then u go the iron and brown paper route-u probably have excess so try an iron on that before u start.
If u need Impact adhesive the iron will not be neccessary

No. For the iron on option the adhesive should be on the veneer already, if not then use a contact adhesive, apply to both surfaces, wait a couple of minutes to allow the adhesive to cure then press both surfaces together. Always do a trial run on a scrap piece first.