Fixed term contract expiring but unclear situation

micmclo

I work in a large corporation on a 6 month contract. My probation period was for 3 months and they called me in after 5 weeks and gave me an excellent grading and told HR I passed probation, excellent start!

7 weeks before my contract ended I asked my manager for a chat. A few days later my manager told me a senior manager would contact me for a new contract. I asked was it permanent and was told it will be another fixed term. Oh well, but I said I was interested for sure

A week later I asked HR what the procedure was and got no reply.

Two weeks after that our teams were reorganised. I asked clearly in our team meeting was I included and was told yes I'm on the plan and I have been included on new team emails. I asked my manager for a meeting on my contract as we are 4 weeks away and got zero reply. I sent another polite email a few days later and also got no reply.

I saw my job advertised on the internal website and figured this was a procedure that they are compelled to advertise and I applied. My manager said he received it from HR but I have heard nothing since

My manager is on holidays now for 3 weeks and actually I will never see him again as I must use all my annual leave before I go, over 2 weeks.

In a little under 3 weeks I am gone as I am finished in the office and onto annual leave and I have no clue what I am supposed to do. On my last day just walk out I guess as if they wanted me they would have sorted this out? I feel a bit strung along :(

In a little under 3 weeks I am gone as I am finished in the office and onto annual leave and I have no clue what I am supposed to do. On my last day just walk out I guess as if they wanted me they would have sorted this out? I feel a bit strung along

Without knowing the corporation its hard to tell what is going on. But I have been contracting for a large number of years, and I find that companies are generally terrible about renewing them on time and its always last minute.

But a few things to keep in mind
1. You should not be in the building if you are not covered under contract. So if you have nothing sorted before you are due to leave, then thats it - you are gone !
2. As you are on a fixed term contract, you need to understand you are finishing on that date unless you get an extension in writing. Yes, you may feel like you have been strung along, but there is no commitment, on either side, until paperwork is signed. Its part and parcel of the contracting world
3. Immediately look at what other opportunities exist out there - you have 5 weeks to find a new role, and you have the benefit of no notice period really to contend with (which is a positive)
4. If I was you, I would go in on Monday and ask to speak to whomever is deputising for your manager (who is on holidays) and tell them that currently you are due to finish up on 13th September, and since no extension has been forthcoming do they require any sort of handover or anything else to happen in advance of that date.
5. On the Monday before you leave 9th September, contact HR and ask them what you need to do from a leaver process as you are finishing on 27th but are on forced annual leave from 13th. Ask who you should give your access card, laptop or anything else to.
6. Finally, send an email to your manager (copying the deputy and boss) on the day before you are due to leave and say that as no paperwork was forthcoming your time at the company has unfortunately come to an end, and thank them for the opportunity afforded to you, and tell them if other opportunities arise in the future you would be interested if the situation suited both parties.

I know you will feel disappointed, but try handle this in a professional manner and don't take it personally. It could be a case of relevant signatures are on holidays and they cannot get it over the line, or like a lot of my experiences, it is just done at the last minute. Try not to stress, its likely you have options and you have time to sort something out so good luck !

Reactions: Leo
Back