Fitzwilton hotel waterford

nad

Hi has anyone stayed in the penthouse suite at the Fitzwilton hotel waterford, if so what are you opinions on the suite and the hotel in general?

Had to post when I saw this thread...

haven't stayed in the penthouse suite but did spend three nights there in June of this year and I have to say we were none too impressed (3 adults & 1 child in group)

it didn't start well when one of the party, having just checked in, slipped in reception and landed quite awkwardly and hurt her back (it was lashing rain outside but she had just walked across a very deep pile rug so her shoes were most likely dry - not the point either way though). Her treatment was disgraceful. she wasn't looking for a stretcher but an "are you OK" would have been nice. the receptionist wasn't tied up with a customer or on the phone at the time either. receptionist just said, well the floor hasn't been mopped recently so nothing to do with us.

arrived in the room and found we were missing one complete curtain, there was a stain on the duvet, a small piece of rubbish under a chair (which happens, granted) and dust along the top of the headboard and on the bedside lockers and phone. We were pretty disgusted and asked to be moved. We wouldn't have gotten any sleep without the curtain anyway.

the toilet in the lobby was filthy when we arrived (and this was 4pm not 9am which might have excused it if they just hadn't gotten round to cleaning it from the night before)

the service in the restaurant on two occasions out of five was horrendous (one of the breakfasts and one evening meal) . It was really off putting seeing as we were looking for a relaxing break. One girl in particular was so rude and abrupt and almost spilled some soup on one of our party and then did spill some red wine and didn't apologise or get something to clean it up with. she was quite shocking now when I think back.

we spoke to the manager on the second day, having made a sizeable list of all our grievances. she was very good about it and listened to us and apologised for it and was appreciative of being told and hence knocked about €100 off the price which was a nice gesture. we said at the time though that we would really have rathered paid full price and fully enjoyed our stay.

having said all that the hotel itself is really very nice - modern, newly built and some really nice aspects and we thought maybe they were just having teething problems but then found out they had been open in excess of a year.

check out tripadvisor.com, there are a lot of comments there - some pretty good, some not.

HTH

FTB

Thank's FTB for your indept reply,had a look at the trip adviser site and as you said yourself they are very mixed, has any other posters stayed in the suite of this hotel or have opinions on the hotel in general.

i stayed there recently and it was very nice. We had a regular room, it was spacious, comfortable and the breakfast the next day was excellent. Its pretty good for Waterford!

Re: Fitzwilton hotel waterford - good but strange service.

Stayed there for a night on business last January. The room was nice, modern and very quiet at the back of the hotel - however some of my party had rooms at the front and didnt get a wink of sleep because of the noise from the road.

The arrangements for parking were quite awkward, particularly if you were trying to juggle luggage and kids.

The service in the restaurant was quite bizarre - the (foreign) girl took my order for steak and even wrote it down but came back with a different dinner for me than I ordered. As it was a Monday night and I just wanted to have my dinner I didn't bother sending it back. However some people might have been really p*#sed off about that!

The other thing was I wasn't charged for breakfast the next day despite me being there on a room only basis. I figured they could give me that on the house for messing up my order for dinner.