Fitting Wooden Floors

MandaC

I have got a quote for fitting wood floors to my new hall and sittingroom with Canadia Wood Flooring solid oak. The contractor is suggesting glueing the wood floor directly to the concrete floor. Is this the best way to fit the floors? The quote I have been given seems to me to be very cheap, and I am wondering if this is the best way to fit the floors. From reading the other threads here, it would seem floating floor is the way to go.

Many thanks

I'm not an expert, but glueing wooden floors to the concrete seems a bit extreme to me. Never heard of that before (sounds a bit cowboyish to me). These days nothing should be glued to your concrete floor. Imagine trying to change the floor later on.

Instead a suitable subfloor should be used and you can optionally glue the boards to that. That would be floating, so I suspect you could remove it in sections.

Glueing solid wood floors is very common, the adhesive is expensive but it's common practice. You do have the problem if you want to take it up later but I'm sure you'll be putting the floor down for at least 10 years so....

The quote was for 42 sq yrds 18mm Canadia solid oak, including everything needed to put it down and also the door bars(wooden) and trim around the fireplace and also to remove the existing skirting boards and refit them, worked out at €2,100 all in.(€50 per yrd)

I saw the floors retail yesterday (in a different location for €31 per sq. yrd.) The floor he is quoting me for is 90mm, I saw a wider board(150mm) for approx. €6.00 per sq. yrd more, so I might ask if he can get this.

I was just worried when I heard glue onto concrete, but have asked a couple of people and does not seem to be abnormal. I wont be in any hurry to pull it up, so thats not going to be an issue for me. Maybe its not cheap, its just that I expected to pay more.

Now tiles.......thats a totally different issue!!!!!

Thanks

Hi Manda, doesn't sound very cheap although prices vary around the country. Glueing the wood to the concrete floor is something that is done but you need to make sure that your solid oak is something that can be sanded down in the future (sand a sample of the floor and see if its ok), because if you get fed up with it or want to take it up in the future it'd be a nightmare. A lot of people get floating floors nowadays cause of underfloor heating

Glueing wooden floors can be a very good job when done correctly. If it's a new build you should consider that there will still be alot of moisture in the concrete floor. Meters can be got to test the moisture content. If the moisture content is high, this will cause your floor to deform. Just something to be aware of.

Your price seems good to me if it includes everything.

Do a search for Elastillon or elastilon on here or their website. It's foam underlay with one sticky side that glues the wood together as you lay it. I used it on mine, great stuff.

Only thing is your chippie might turn his nose up at it as it's new and he mightn't have heard of it and it is not recommended that you float a solid floor (except with elastillon!).

Nothing wrong with what your chippie is doing, I just didn't want to glue it down (too permanent) or put sheets underneath for nailing it to (floor is higher, too much work).

The link in this post from the Wooden Flooring Key Post has all the info you need on the various methods for installing a wooden floor.
Leo

I used Elastilon when fitting solid wooden floor recently.

It is certainly slower to do the installation with it than gluying the floor onter the concrete, so the fitter may charge you more.

It gives that extra flex in the floor when walking on it which is very nice.
It does cost €10 per sqm though.

I have never likes the idea of gluying wodden floor directly onto concrete. I see it as a quick cheap option that may lead to many problem is dampness raises thought the concrete floor over time. That would be my main worry...

If you decide to go with the "gluying" option, be 100% sure that it complies with the wooden floor manufacturer's recommendations....

Thanks guys, house is new and will certainly need to dry out before floor is fitted - is doing the moisture test on Friday - but floors are not going down for another couple of months.

I dont personally like the idea of glueing wood to concrete either, and perhaps thats putting me off. Will look into the Elastilon option.

The glueing option does comply with the manufacturers instructions, so would be ok there.

Thanks again all.

Another Flooring Question!
I want to put down solid oak floors in an apartment. The management company dont like them as its a timber-framed construction, so I have to put in some sound insulation. I am looking at 90mm solid oak (suitable for floating) in Doors & Floors for €20 Sq/yd, and "Boardwalk" underlay (27db sound reduction) for about €5 a yard - would this be a good idea, or can anyone suggest something different?