Fitting Doors in ex Dublin Corp. House

D

Drayton

Hi-
We've just started working in an old house (ex Dublin Corporation House 1950s). Upstairs is finished except for four new doors. It's cottage oak barn style and as the walls are of two inch clinker block with 3/8" plaster each side, we are wondering if there will be a problem securing the door jamb/lining. As the walls are so narrow, what is the best way to approach this as the linings will be so proud on each side. Any suggestions/ recommended fitters welcome.

Standard doors are 40mm so you could get framing run up (or ripped down) to 70mm with a 25mm stop.

I assume you do not want the door architrave to stick out too far. I had hardwood doors and architraves put in in a similiar type wall last year. At first the carpenter erected the frame as normal, but they looked wrong. So I got him to plane the door linings at one side and fitting the architraves snugly. He fixed the frames temporarily with that foamy thing, before using a very sharp drill point to make the initial hole before fixing it with long screws. These fitted into plastic plugs. A slow process but they look gorgeous.

Thanks for the tips. I am going on the assumption that with some minor adjustment to the frames they should fit close to the wall. In the case mentioned was the door plained to fit the frame also?

Is there some type of doorframe that will sit in place but will envelope the wall by a couple of inches? This would stop any damage to the block/plaster whilst being fitted. Alternatively, just plane and plane!

Spoke to carpenter last night who advised that the doors and frames can be fitted in good order by ripping frames to a size that allows both frame and door stop to be fitted. This will be approx.20mm bigger than current wall however can be made good with architrave and oak filler to cover gap between architrave and wall. Only one door will need to be plained in bathroom by approx 1/2 inch on both sides. Thanks for the tips, Will advise once work has been done.

Back