fiting internal oak doors etc - carpenter wants to put a piece of wood at each corner

NOAH

At Iast I am getting the internal doors, skirting etc fitted. Carpenter has now said as the floors are so uneven he wants to fit a peice of oak at each end of doors top and bottom and match it up to architrave he also wants to put a sliver of wood below the 6 inch skirting so that he does not have to scribe the skirting. He drew me a litttle diagram and as a non technical perwson it looked ok. My other half wants to see an actual picture of this effect and I dont even know what this feature is called. He starts tommorro!!

hELP

NOAH

Sorry I can't offer you any advice Noah but I will admit it does sound a little strange. Have you made any progress with your enquiries?

thats it and it does not look to bad, other half is pleased so thank you both for posting.

noah

Is your carpenter talking about fitting a quadrant (or shoe moulding) to the base of each skirting to avoid scribing? This can look ok but it may limit your choice of floor finish- carpet will not look great if this is done as it's difficult to get a finish on the cut edge where it meets the quadrant. I don't see what the fitting of plinth blocks and rosettes have to do with uneven floors though?

I agree with carpenter's posting above, plinth blocks and rosettes are used as a feature (handy for the carpenter as he only has to do square cuts to top of architrave) - it would be absolutely nothing to do with level or unlevel floors or fitting of skirting as skirting only butts into plinth block or architrave whichever the cast.

Be 100% clear on what he plans to do with regard to the skirting.

thanks all, and hence my reason for posting, it is probably a quick get out for him. I will refer back to him and get a better explanation.

noah

Back