Fishmonger in Co. Kildare/West Dublin

Ballyman

As the title says. I live in Naas but all I have is fish counters in Tesco, Superquinn etc. selling farmed crap.

Does anyone know of anywhere that I can buy fresh caught salmon etc. rather than farmed crap?

Is there a fish stall in the farmers market at the Storehouse on Saturdays?

Re: Fishmonger in Co. Kildare/West Dublin:fresh caught salmon rather than farmed crap

Hi Ballyman

I know Nolans Butchers on popular square do good fish on certain days

Some but not all farmed salmon is crap. I like Irish Organic Farmed salmon when I can get it. I have eaten some truly horrible Scottish/Hebridean farmed salmon. I know supervalue operate a traceability system for their farmed salmon. Ask them and they will tell you where the salmon was farmed. I always ask and only buy from a supplier that I am happy with. Im nearly sure that SQ operate a similar system.

aj

visit [broken link removed]. They give you a list of great fish places. It's the Irish Association of seafood companies.

Probably a silly question!

But can fresh wild salmon be bought at this time of the year?. I thought the time of the year for fresh wild salmon was June/July or thereabouts. We've bought salmon ('cause Superquin often have whole wild salmon on special around that time) and have cut it into fillets and froze it. It doesn't really freeze for any extended period of time. Now I'm just curious where can wild fresh salmon be sourced at this time of the year???

Kish Fish have a 'factory shop' down beside Smithfield which sells what I'm told is extremely fres stuff. I heard Kish supply a lot of restaurants, have a v.diverse selection and are reasonably priced.

the opening hours are limited, and on Saturdays you have to queue - particularly in the rush just before closing, plus they can sell out of things, so you need to go early.

My issue isn't with the taste etc. of farmed fish it's the fact that they are farmed and thus fed incorrectly to make them as large as possible as quick as possible and this to me isn't right. Apart from the fact that the level of potential toxins in farmed fish is much higher.

I'd prefer to pay more for something that was caught in the open seas.

Thanks for your replies.

Agree with you entirely, that's why we don't buy salmon when it's out of season - wild salmon or nothing. Only expressing our personal preference. But to each his own .