First time Snag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bling Ho

Hi guys,

Finally getting to snag my apartment next Monday and my friend is going to snag it for me. While I have every confidence in him ( he built his own house), I just wanted to ask if there is anything in particular I should look out for? All the important and major things to check for? Is there a checklist on the net I can print off?

Cheers.

Thats a great DIY snag list, but I'm confused why people try to save at this important time of a build.
Let say you let your buddy do the snag and in "X" number of years a serious problem comes to light which cost loads to repair, but could have been avoided/repaired by "builder" if discovered at an earlier stage. I'd say you'd be kicking your self you didn't pay a few hundred quid and get a qualified professional to do the inspection.

That is defo an excellent list but
I would go with the lads, well worth while getting a professional one done. Even if no major problems, there may be something small that you spot in a few months or even a years time that will drive u mad, and then builders gone off site,try to get a builder to do a small job?? or your into diy that you may not have tools for.
Also look around urself, whats in your direct line of vision when sitting watching tv, in bed, in bath, on toilet, etc, ie things you will be doing every day if you see an error later every single day your eye will be drawn towards it

Thats a great DIY snag list, but I'm confused why people try to save at this important time of a build.
Let say you let your buddy do the snag and in "X" number of years a serious problem comes to light which cost loads to repair, but could have been avoided/repaired by "builder" if discovered at an earlier stage. I'd say you'd be kicking your self you didn't pay a few hundred quid and get a qualified professional to do the inspection.

I'm not trying to save, he was going to do my snag all along. I'm just asking for some tips not advice in getting a professional snagger in. Bascially just wanted a list and a few tips for peace of mind.

Plumbing, plumbing and plumbing are the three biggest problems. Particularly untanked shower trays.

Open and close all windows and doors for fitment.

Check the heating system.

Visit after heavy rain and see if there is any water ingress. Also any flooding to outside areas.

Check for cracks esp horizontal cracks. Esp. around door and window frames.

I paid a professional engineer to do a snag for me and I may as well have done it myself - he was pretty useless.

He was actually recommended to me to do a valuation report (for the mortgage) - the bank themselves gave me his card and said they had accepted valuation reports off him in the past and would be happy to accept one from him again. I rang him up and he said itd be 100 for a valuation report and 200 for a snag but he'd do both for 250. I agreed and he showed up at the arranged time/date.

I got suspicious when he said to me 'we'll do the valuation report first eh?', took out his phone, rang the estate agents who were selling me the property and said 'hi there - if i were buying one of these places how much would you charge me?'. They told him and he wrote it down on the back of a scrap of paper and said 'ill fill out the (supplied)form for the bank later'. So that was 100 euros worth of a valuation report :)

He proceeded onto the snag. By sheer bad luck the builders had switched the water on that day and the tap in my kitchen was on and the pipe underneath was not in existance so there was water everywhere. The builders had stopped me on the way in and explained what had happened to me and that they were on their way with a pump etc....

The snag man took no notice of anything else except the water.
He then tapped a few walls and said 'thats grand so - Ill fax the snag list to you'.

I paid him 250 euro feeling suspiciously 'done' - he then asked me for a lift to his next job, even though it was not in the direction I was going :)

He faxed the snag next morning. It was hand written in TERRIBLE handwriting on headed paper (some engineers office name on it). It was practically impossible to read it plus loads of the points listed were just standard things like 'all surfaces to be cleaned'. There was a big section on the unfortunate water incident.

I went back a week later and done my own snag and included all the stuff that he hadnt mentioned at all.

Ive never had a problem since I moved in and if I knew then what I knew now I would never have gotten this guy to snag. I think the valuation report thing was a bit of a joke too but however.......

I'm not trying to save, he was going to do my snag all along. I'm just asking for some tips not advice in getting a professional snagger in. Bascially just wanted a list and a few tips for peace of mind.

Who was doing the snag, your buddy ? I know !
I was trying to give you the best tip possible, get a professional.
If you have to ask here for advise to help your friend, then he's not the right guy for the job.
I've seen people who build/finished their own houses and their idea of "quality" finish would not be acceptable to me, hence my advise.

For what it's worth, look out for marks on the window glass and check to ensure that varnish hasn't gone on the glass if this is relevant.
Ensure there is a connector for a dishwasher on the pipe work under the kitchen sink.
Nail holes on timber work to be filled e.g. door frames.
Sorry if these are on the extensive list mentioned earlier (too long to read).
The above are a few my pro. picked up on.

Plumbing, plumbing and plumbing . .
I'd agree with HighFlier's comments. Flush everything, run all the taps, fill the bath then let it drain, run the shower from you go in till you leave; in case it leaks down into the kitchen? Check that there's a cover on the water tank in the attic and that the attic is fully insulated. Bring a bulb to check that all the lights work and that they work with the correct switch. Bring something you can plug in (hair-dryer maybe) so you can test all sockets. I'd bring and boil a kettle to see if anything trips. Wired for an alarm? check that it's fully wired. AFAIK new homes must have two smoke alarms. Check that all windows and doors fully open and close and lock.

Who was doing the snag, your buddy ? I know !
I was trying to give you the best tip possible, get a professional.
If you have to ask here for advise to help your friend, then he's not the right guy for the job.
I've seen people who build/finished their own houses and their idea of "quality" finish would not be acceptable to me, hence my advise.

Mate please read my posts. Tips are for me and for my peace of mind and not my friend! As stated I have every confidence in him, I just want to hear advice from other people that snagged before! And if all you can tip is to get a professional then I'd rather you didn't give your tip or advice. What's the point, when that's not what I'm asking?

Mate please read my posts. Tips are for me and for my peace of mind and not my friend! As stated I have every confidence in him, I just want to hear advice from other people that snagged before! And if all you can tip is to get a professional then I'd rather you didn't give your tip or advice. What's the point, when that's not what I'm asking?

I read your post, gave my opinion, understood you don't want a professional and then gave you a few examples (tips) from my own experience. Were they not welcome ? Read my post in full please.
And save the reference to "Mate" the tone is not appreciated.

And save the reference to "Mate" the tone is not appreciated.
Sorry Recam..you're in the wrong here! The "tone" of the term "mate" seemed to me pretty unoffensive from what i read! The OP asked for a checklist available on the net and what kinda things he should look out for. He didnt ask to be told to get a professional or be told that he shouldnt scrimp on money for a snag. Read his post and you will realise you went off topic not him...

Sorry Recam..you're in the wrong here! The "tone" of the term "mate" seemed to me pretty unoffensive from what i read! The OP asked for a checklist available on the net and what kinda things he should look out for. He didnt ask to be told to get a professional or be told that he shouldnt scrimp on money for a snag. Read his post and you will realise you went off topic not him...

What is it to you ?
Why am I being asked to read the posts again ?
I gave my bit about the professional (I felt it was the best tip possible for someone ready to snag their house), he didn't want the advise I dropped it, I also offered a few tips from my own experience, they didn't seem welcomed, hence I took up the tone of the post to be a bit offensive.
Are you actually now telling me what or what should not, offend me ?
Where I come from, using the term "mate" when we don't know each other is derogatory, that's my opinion, that's how I felt.
There's only one person gone off topic here, that you swordshead (& me possibly by taking the time to respond).

I love when people take constructive criticism so well...:rolleyes:

*sigh* Recam get back to bed and get out of it the right side the next time!
...and yes that was a major "tone" being used there!

I don't think anyone who posts on this site should be harrassed for giving their points of view. This kind of posting over steps the mark and is personal.
However I'm not going to waste my time reporting this post to the Mods. This is my last post on the subject.

This is my last post on the subject.[/quote]

Best thing you've posted on this topic mate! :p

Thanks for backing me up Swordshead. Going to snag at 12pm, really excited to finally see my pad.

Thanks all for their input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back