First Time Skiing Holiday

Firefly

Hi,

We are planning our first ski holiday for this time next year. We are planning to go to Austria with another family. Any recommendations on resorts and general tips would be most welcome

Thanks!
Firefly.

Would recommend going to the ski centre in Sandyford for some lessons before the holiday.
I didn't bother. The first few days of ski school are part of the fun. My instructor made it very clear on the first day that she didn't want any of us trying to ski sober.

Have been to a few resorts and enjoyed Kitzbuhl in Austria (also Morzine/Avoriaz on French/Swiss border. But a place I went many times with a group and then with family was Kranjska Gora in Slovenia. Not a resort people would think off but available for past couple of years through CrystalSki (I was going there before you could book a package). It is not a big resort and the runs are not particularly long but for beginners and especially families it is superb! Mainly as the hotels are literally at the ski runs (a lot of resorts can involve getting a bus to Gondola to go up Mountain or at least a bit of a walk). It is great for families and as in my case with a non skier (wife) and young baby (1yr). The hotel standard is better than most resorts (half board) and most hotels have a pool or access to one. It also has night skiing which is great. The only but and unfortunately it becoming more of an issue is that this is a low resort and as such snow reliability can be hit/miss. I went for many years and had everything from deep snow to lashing rain! Past few years snow great. Also this is a small town but has lovely restaraunts etc. Also although this is Slovenia it is just over the border and the flights all go to Salzburg (transfer just a bit longer but in our case we were the only ones going there so had a minibus to ourselves!)

Never been there specifically, but a quick google and my immediate impression is that it would be a great spot for intermediate skiers - tons of red runs, not so many blue. It's also quite high without trees, meaning could be exposed if the weather was bad. I personally would consider going there however, looks quite nice, but that's just my google opinion.

Obergurgl is great and has lots of blue runs up in Hochgurgl, but the town is quite quiet if you're looking for atmosphere. Somewhere like Zell em see is small-ish, but quite beginner friendly, really picture-esque town, and you could do a day trip to kaprun glacier, or even saalbach which is great also for some variation during the week.

One thing to keep in mind is where blue runs are located, often the ones that reach right back into the town get really cut up and mogul-y in the afternoons due to the amount of people coming down and the slightly warmer air, so anywhere that offers blue runs above the first chair lift or gondola up is a good bet as they stay in better shape.

A skiing holiday is something I would love to bring the family on but unless I'm shopping in the wrong places it's incredibly expensive. I had a look at that spot in Slovenia (as presumably that is cheaper than the more traditional places) and even there, if I search for non peak season (such as mid term breaks), it's averaging around €5.5K for a family of 5 for 1 week (this is for flights, accommodation and skiing equipment - not including any classes). Is this about average? I'm guessing for France, Austria or Switzerland it is considerably more.

Crist Beag:
Are you beginners.
If so I can recommend Bialka Tatrzanska in Poland between end of Dec and end of Feb.
One week per person all in and eating out including flights and accomodation and a couple of visits to the baths excl lessons can be done for max €750 per person. Terma baths are brilliant Google Terma Bania.
Google Kotelnica as ski destination.
Live webcam search Bania webcam.

Thanks Daddy, I'll take a look. It's a long time since I've been called Christ and previously it was followed with profanities, not helpful advice! :p We would be complete beginners alright so lessons will need to be included but that budget sounds more promising than what I was seeing.

Breakdown per person of estimate €750 (family members have been to Bialka Tatrzanska over past 10 years)

Flights to Krakow return €170 (plan to arrive before 5.00 pm so can take bus to Bialka as Taxi one way approx €100 ). Christmas flights are dearer.
Train to Krakow Glowny from airport return €5
Bus from Krakow Glowny return to Bialka Tatrzanska €15
Accomodation B & B 6 nights €150
Food approx 6 days €165
Ski hire 6 days €50
Ski pass 6 days €115
2 visits to Terma Bania €30
Ski lessons x 2 in total €50
Total is €750

Thanks Daddy, I'll take a look. It's a long time since I've been called Christ and previously it was followed with profanities, not helpful advice! :p We would be complete beginners alright so lessons will need to be included but that budget sounds more promising than what I was seeing.

Ah Crist, start your own thread :D

Crist Beag:
Are you beginners.
If so I can recommend Bialka Tatrzanska in Poland between end of Dec and end of Feb.
One week per person all in and eating out including flights and accomodation and a couple of visits to the baths excl lessons can be done for max €750 per person. Terma baths are brilliant Google Terma Bania.
Google Kotelnica as ski destination.
Live webcam search Bania webcam.

That's very interesting Daddy (Hmmmm odd & uncomfortable typing that!)

With your timeline above in mind, is there a good/best time to go?

Need to bear in mind the school holidays too.

Thanks!

Mango Joe:

Gather you and your family are beginners. The place I recommended Kotelnica in Bialka Tatrzanska in Poland is ideal for beginners. The costs are approx as I outlined.
Night skiing is possible up to 10.00 p.m which is not available generally in other main more costly destinations. Great food in Katorowy Staw in Bialka. Three course meal for €12.00. As regards things to do. There is ice skating and the Terma Bania on the foot of the slopes is really superb. I am told that an indoor slope will be ready for next year but don't hold me to that. If you want a budget location I guarantee the kids will really enjoy this place. As I said I recommend going there between end of Dec and end of Feb so with kids at school I suppose mid term Feb is probably best. The season finishes around April 5th but it's very risky post March 17th and I wouldn't recommend going there either side of St Patrick's Day. Mid term Feb 2020 at moment flying out Dub to Kra Mon 17th Feb is €66 p.p (ideal time of flight to get bus fron Krakow to Bialka Tatrzanska and avoid taxis) and flying back from Krakow on Sun 23rd Feb (nice time again is €172 excl bags and excl choosing your seats. If you watch on a regular basis I would think you would get it for my budget of €170 (post 12). Best of luck whatever you decide.

Very informative posts Daddy Ireland.
I am just back from a long weekend in Krakow with by two boys and it is a fantastic city so a day or two there at the end of the trip would be time well spent. Accommodation is under €50 a night for an apartment which sleeps 4 and food etc is less than half the cost in Ireland.

Hi Daddy Ireland - Echoing Purples comment - Thanks so much for going to all that trouble to help out, I really appreciate all of your thoughtful and hugely helpful reply - You're a gent.

I must read up on your suggestions later on this evening when I have more time!

Great idea Purple to take in a couple of days at end of ski trip to take in Auschwitz and the Salt Mines. Four full days skiing is plenty.

Back