First Time Contractor - Short term contract in the UK?

J

JohnDorian

I've been approached about a 3 month contract in the UK by a recruitment firm at a rate of £400 per day and if I'm offered the job will have to take it as I've been unemployed since mid-September. Until then I was a PAYE worker for the past 7 years and have been on Job Seekers Benefit since then.

I'll be commuting back and forth every week as I've a young family here in Dublin and it's not worth re-locating for a 3 month contract (and I've no desire to work in the UK long-term anyway).

From what I can see, I have to either set up a company as a sole trader, a Ltd company or work through an Umbrella company to do this? Has anyone any advice on which of these options suits me best?

I'm wary of setting up a company in case that rules me out from claiming JSB when my contract ends through being considered self-employed. I'm also wondering what sort of take-home I could expect?

i know that transfermate open uk bank accounts for people going to work there.

i also know that an accountants practice in dublin, mcnamaras would advise on this sort of thing as they deal with clients in that area

For a short-term contract in the UK an Irish umbrella company is likely to be your best option, and if you choose an employee option (i.e. not as a director of the umbrella company) you would not be considered self-employed and would continue to make prsi contributions under Class A (which you need to qualify for job seekers benefit).

http://www.prima.ie

Back