First time car rental - what to look out for

kellyj

Heading across to Biarritz later this week. 4th time over in France but first time taking the fly drive option. Have my car booked - got what appeared to be a good deal on a VW Golf Plus (hopefully! - class is designated as 'Intermediate') for 18 days at €465.40 from Europcar.com. Included is the usual stuff I guess (Theft Waiver, Road Tax & Licence fees & VAT) plus unlimited mileage & collision damage waiver. Had also to take 1 child safety seat @ €30.
As a newbie at this, what should I be looking out for when picking up the car? I have heard stories that taking your own pictures of the car in the present of an attendant before driving off is advisable so they cannot hit for pre-existing dents & scratches when you return it. Extreme??? Should I also consider some additional insurance (e.g. personal accident cover etc.)?

Europcar are usually very good. they supply the car with a tank full of petrol and you leave it back full. I always check the car out for any scratches or dents and point them out to the person at the desk. It is well worth doing this as they mark the areas on their drawing of the car so there is a record of it. It may take a bit of time to do this as they are usually very busy and it can be difficult to drag someone way to look at the car. However, if they say it all is ok without looking at the car I ask them to write it down on the contract that there are dents or scratches already on the car. Better to be safe than sorry.

I'm stating the obvious here, but before you start driving the rented car, familiarise yourself with the controls in the car.

Some cars like the passat have a different handbraking system to the standard.

A while ago, I rented a car in Italy, and I was driving north to the left of lake Garda during daylight hours, and I was approaching a very long tunnel. I needed to turn on the headlights before entering the tunnel, and I remember not being able to figure out where the headlight on/off button was, there were cars behind me, brakeing was not an option. I was probably 200 meters into the tunnel before I figured it out.
But if you are more logical than me, you won't have this problem.

I've always found when renting a car that no matter what insurance you've already booked, they have some more they want to sell you when you're at the rental desk.
As has been stated, check the car for damage & scratches before leaving.
As a minor thing, maybe try and keep an eye out for the petrol station closest to the airport, for the refill on the way back, and what price they're charging!

I advise you to purchase the 'super collision damage insurance' Then you don't care what happens to the car. Worth it for the peace of mind. You could in future purchase the 'insurance4carhire' or something similar which works out cheaper than purchasing the above extra insurance and I believe also covers tyres and underbody.

Check your travel insurance. Ours includes Personal Accident Insurance, incl car rental, so don't pay for it twice. All those insurances they offer you add up.

Secondly check the (and here's where I show my female side) the underside of the car ie the skirting location/runner under the door, the bit that curves down and under the car. We rented a car in France as it turns out, and what we believe happened is that the lads who park the cars just hit the underside of the car off one of those high kerbs. The car dented in but since all the paint was intact we never noticed. Anyway, driving 130km on a French motorway soon gave us a lovely feather effect on the messed up paint which we noticed immediately the next time we got into the car. We rang Hertz who we had rented with and they believed us, luckily. Anyway point is, don't just check top and sides, check under too.

Oh and then there was the funny time we rented in Paris CDG and we drove off and the car grated and then thumped to the ground...someone had nicked one of the wheels!!! So 4 wheels would be a good thing - not incl the spare!

Agree with earlier poster, check location of things, especially petrol tank, how to open, and ensure you know it's gazole (diesel) or sans plomb (unleaded) there should be a sticker anyway on the outside.

btw, depending on the age of your little kid you might be better off taking your own car seat, I was never happy with the fitting we got with the rented car seats, and they legally cannot do it for you. If you get a manual you'll be lucky, and chances are it will be in French, although there are generally good diagrams. It normally added on at least 40 minutes to our time there just trying to get a good fit, swapping in different seats etc. We always take ours.
Bon vacances...

Few small things:
- Check the AA for dorections to where you are going
- Check & double check the car. I have always been told the car is perfect, but bar once, I have found dents & scratches on the car. Make sure they mark everything. We ha one car that was soooo dirty we couldn't view the car properly, we complained and they upgraded us to a much better & cleaner car (which still had some dents!!)
- try to drive on some of the smaller roads before you tackle a motorway. Find out what they rules of the road are (eg - in Belgium, the person coming onto a roundabout has right of way....very disconserting)
- Bring back the car full of petrol (if thats what the T&C's say - some rental companies charge a fortune for this)

Yes good point re roundabouts. In France generally speaking it's the same here but keep an eye out for 'Vous n'avez pas la priorite' or 'Priorite a droite' which means that even the minor roads have priority over the major roads...keep yer eyes peeled!!!

Sincere thanks to everyone who replied. Some very useful points, especially around what you would normally consider as blatantly obvious but end up forgetting to check up on at the time.
On planning the route picked up a Garmin nuvi 250 GPS unit (Father's Day pressie!) last week - those things have really come down in price over the last couple of years. Am putting my faith in it to guide us along the right path. Have already loaded the camp site as a favourite destination - their website had the exact coordinates available which was great. My hope is that once we're ready for off with the car it will be just a case of picking our destination and letting it guide us there with minimal hassle. Our previous three trips we stuck to using a map which, as I'm sure you all you married folks out there have experienced, can lead to untold conflict!

If you are going to drive abroad I would advise you to think about getting/borrowing a Sat Nav, which is absolutely brilliant on holidays. It would be better to buy a set here before you go. Hiring these sets by the day can work out quite expensive and the costs soon mounts up. Sat Nav takes a bit of getting used to, if you have not used it before.

If you hire a set (provided the hire company has a set in stock) you have nothing to show at the end of your holiday. If you buy here before you go and bring it with you, you can use it again next year, and the year after, etc You can also use it here when you have to go somewhere you are unfamiliar with.

The are loads of advantages of having Sat Nav on holiday. Driving on the wrong side of the road, with unfamiliar signs and customs is stressful enough, without the added hassle of trying to get to your destination, often at night.

With a Sat Nav you can head off on a drive, anytime of the day or night, that you want. You can get totally lost, without worrying about how you are going to find your way home. On arriving at your base, you simply key your present destination in, as your home.

After that, when you have had enough exploring, you just press the home button, and the car will guide you straight back to your halldoor, even if you have cross the border to another country - Spain, Italy or wherever.

I have previously wasted gallons of fuel and spent many hours trying to get back to base. This is a huge cost in terms of time and money and frustration. The set will also tell you how long it's going to take to get to your destination. It will find petrol stations for you if you want, if you are running low.

It's also very forgiving, it gives you the directions in plenty of time. Driving on a motorway, you can also go into a sort of trance, on a long stretch. John Cleese telling you to "prepare to exit in 2000 meters" wakes you up in plenty of time. He then goes on to say something rude about Napoleon. At the start of a trip, when you have keyed in your destination, he will ask you if you want to avoid toll roads and motorways and if you want to go the fastest or shortest route etc

Sat Nav doesn't mix its right with its left. It doesn't make you angry or swear, when it gives you wrong directions. It doesn't try and direct you up a one way street. It doesn't get sulky, when you complain about its directions. If you do take a wrong turn, it simply recalculates the route to your destination, without commenting on what sort of a dipstick is driving the car, and hurling abuse that it has been storing up all day, and which it was sitting there seething, waiting for the opportunity to vent its spleen.

Driving round a foreign city centre, with impatient local drivers, looking for signposts, is not exactly my idea of fun. I drove right through the centre of Lisbon during rush hour last year and it was brilliant. The only thing of note that happened, was that when I was told to turn left after 100meters. I turned too early and drove straight into the yard of a bus garage. 4 cars followed me in. It must have looked funny. 5 cars driving gound in circles looking for a way out

Murt

Last edited:
If you hire from Europcar, before you put your luggage in the boot, pull up the cover over the spare wheel and there you should find a Europcar document that marks the damage they have already recorded got the car. So check for extra damage that is not on the document and get them to record it on your contract.

Sorry to bump this up.

We're going to Norway for a long weekend at end of this month and will be hiring a car at the airport. Is it best/cheaper to book before you go or is it the same walking in on the day you arrive? Thanks.

I don't know Norway, but I would say in general you're better off booking in advance. I suspect the car hire companies charge a nice premium for last minute customers, they probably figure you can't shop around in a hurry. Also, if you're looking for a budget "Category A" car, you might find they only have Ds& Es available...

MAke sure to take photos of the car before and after.

Sometimes accidents happen to the car after you leave it back and guess who pays?