First time building

N

no clue

I'm new to this forum and to building in general,i am at the moment in the process of extending my house and would greatly appreciate some help or words of wisdom from anyone who has just extended their own home or builders who frequent this forum,i have just had the planner up and because of the size of garden i can build an extension about 40 feet in lenght and 30 feet wide it is only a ground floor development with partition walls inside,does anyone have any idea how much i should be budgeting for this size build including the roof i already have one quote in from a family member and i think it is fairly exspensive,any help would appreciated,the house is in cork county

For a standard builders finish in 310 cavity wall construction you could budget about €100-€110 per sq ft. You are building 1200 sq ft so 120k to 132k.
It becomes a lot more awkward to price if you are doing work to the existing dwelling as well. PLus you have to budget for finishes and fittings eg kitchen, etc

no clue,

from my own self build experience you wont see much change out €90 to €100 k.

have been quoted about 120k would it be cheaper to go direct labour and buy all materials myself,have spoken to one person who built 2000sqf house for 145k through builders

i'm kinda in the same situation. i dont know that much about building and will soon be starting renovation works. the best thing to do in my opinion is to draw a sketch of what you're thinking and just ask a couple of builders round to give you a quote. there's no obligation and they may think of something you've overlooked and will explain what is entailed, how long it will take etc. it really is the best thing to do if only to give you a firmer idea of what you want with regard to what you can afford.

direct labour / project management is not something to enter lightly,especially if you have 'no clue' about construction. Perceived savings and quickly turn into unnecessary costs.

The bets thing to do is to:
(1) get the specification as tight as possible
(2) get as many quotes as possible
(3) allow an extra 10% for contingencies.

have somebody doing up plans and will probably have to give them to a few builders was slightly taken back by price as its only 3 solid walls,i already have prices seperate for kitchen,once plumbing is in i will be getting bathroom suite myself and installing also floors and tiling will all be done by my brother for free

i planning to go with a builder that mainly works on his own. he also does plumbing and carpentry. i have very few building to be done as well but i am re-roofing and putting in dormers so the price shot upwards.
i got an architect to do the plans but if it was again i wouldn't. he did some wierd things in moving walls for no apparent reason etc. but you live and you learn i suppose

explained everything needed to architect and also told him what walls i needed moved and he still thought the price was a bit excessive am i being too naive,the wife has already promised the job to her brother in law so it was him who gave us that quote

make sure to get more quotes anyway. and maybe be prepared to be dropped from his christmas card list

make sure to get more quotes anyway. and maybe be prepared to be dropped from his christmas card list

cheers veno was thinking the very same,never go with family too complicated

Whatever type of extension you are building just be sure to get a certificate of compliance as if and when you ever want to sell if you ever do you'll need this certificate as seen on previous threads on this forum

Do you know the one about actors who don't want to work with children or animals - when it comes to building, the same applies to relatives!!! It's bad enough when a job goes wrong, but when the builder is related, it's a nightmare!!!

The second piece of advice is to have a look around the town or village, and see where other extensions have been done. Ask the owners who did the extensions, and who they would recommend. People are generally very honest, and will only recommend somebody if they did a good job. The local shop proprietor usually will have his or finger on the pulse of the community, and will recommend some few small, general purpose builders.

When you are getting a price, get the builder to set out exactly what they will do, in writing. Compare one with another - you will be surprised what additional things you will pick up in this way.

Ask each builder for one or two comparable reference locations they have done jobs on locally. Visit the houses, and ask the householder what they think of the builder.

If you can afford it, get a decent engineer - one who will do what you want, not what suits him or her. Agree a fee in advance.

Think of practical things - for instance, insist on obtaining a copy of the builder's insurance. If you are purchasing the raw material, have it delivered to your premises. Do not give permission to any builder to purchase stock from the hardware store on your account. Have a formal contract. (Solicitor needed here). Insist on a retainer - settling cracks are all very fine, and will be addressed far faster if there is a retainer.