First NBI gigabit broadband here soon - which service provider to choose?

Hooverfish

Dear Askaboutmoney people

Can you help me to help my neighbours figure out how to choose broadband service providers so they don't sign up to long contracts with the wrong guys?

We are probably going to be the first rural area in the country to get NBI 1Gb fibre to the home, which the engineers tell us should be available here before Christmas. There are guys out putting in the main cables and ducts at the moment, but they haven't got to the "final mile" connections as yet, although we got a visit saying a short conduit is going in down my boithrin some time this week. We don't know who is going to offer service yet, but I am guessing it will be the usual ie Eir, Vodafone, SIRO(?) Virgin Media(?) Sky(?), Digiweb and PureTelecom with possibly some local operators (Imagine, Novotel, Rural Wifi).

Here's what I think people need to look out for, based on links such as https://www.*****************.com/cheapest-phone-and-broadband-package.html , https://switcher.ie/broadband/compare/fibre-optic-broadband/?product_type=broadband&region=cork and https://www.broadbanddeals.ie/broadband-providers-in-ireland

- Contract cost per month
- Length of contract
- Speed (beware "up to" claims)
- Additional fees for equipment such as routers
- Whether TV and landline are bundled (should not be needed for most people unless they need Sky or Eir sports)

Any other tips or experiences? I read the thread where Zenith reckons that there is no point avoiding Eir because of its customer service issues, as the other providers will have to deal with them anyway. However, my own experience when helping a neighbour change provider last year, was that Sky customer service actually were very useful, because they knew how to operate the ComReg processes to get action taken.

Thanks for your advice, which I would plan to publish via a link on our local facebook noticeboard referencing this thread on askaboutmoney, before neighbours start receiving the avalanche of direct marketing, if that is ok?

@Hooverfish
You will find people / customers in favour of certain providers and others who have had nothing but annoyance with the same providers. I've been with Eir for many many years and although frustrating at some rare times I had to deal with them, my issues were dealt with. I've heard very mixed reviews for other providers, both good and bad, so I can't comment on such.

You mentioned that you are getting 1Gb into your area - you must ask yourself if you really need that speed - with Eir, it's coming in at €55 I think, so similar prices for other providers for that speed I assume - there are cheaper deals (superfast BB) which is up to 150Mb would be sufficient to a lot of households at this time.

Even though you will be getting 1Gb (or 150Mb etc) to your home - you will need hardwired ports from your router to your devices to get (close to) those actual speeds - if you are going for using WiFi internally, then your actual speeds will drop considerably. If you have multiple devices, then even with 150Mb package, you shouldn't be getting any contention. The set up in your home will dictate how useful the broadband is all across the house, so if wireless only, you may need something like a wifi repeater to help push the signal to far areas in the house.

Then also think of your use for broadband - are you going to be getting TV entertainment package also? Need to factor such in and then see if any providers are offering the TV packages you want with the broadband you want. I didn't go for a TV/BB package, so I am paying separate for both, which at this time is ok, but may not suit next year etc. So I guess, don't think in the short term - think for the duration of the contract or 12 or 24 months what you want (or need).

Also, enjoy the fast speeds when you get it in. When I got the broadband into my home, all the issues with slow speeds / dropped signals / non-connection etc were a thing of the past. One area of argument removed from my household that I gladly pay for. :D

Thanks @Jazz01. Good points about internal networking connections.
Sky are advertising €45/12 month contract for 1 Gb and €35/12 month contract for 500 Mb but "setup fees apply" - unspecified how much and for what...

@Hooverfish

From what I can gather, the breakdown with Sky is:
Your Sky package
New monthly €35
One-off
€50

so assume the set up fees are the "one off €50". May increase if you choose different packages with them (Sky TV etc).

Back