First holiday abroad - where to go etc. need help!

boogaloo

hi all,

I'm writing this on behalf of my sister, who is married and has 2 kids, one is 15 the other is 5. The family have never been abroad before, but would really like to go somewhere for a week this year (August). They are on a very tight budget, approx 1500 - 2000 euro for everything for the week, including flights + accommodation.
Where would be best for them to go? Camping in France? But would you need to hire a car to do this? What sort of prices would you pay for a mobile home that sleeps 4 for a week?
Where else would be an option? They have a camper van of their own but it is old and they would not be comfortable driving it on the continent. They've spent the last few years using the van and camping around Ireland but feel it is gone very expensive to do this in Ireland and wonder if they could get a similar holiday abroad for much the same money.
Could anyone give tips on what their options are, given the limited budget?
Many thanks.

If they're on a very tight budget maybe a package, rather than a camping type holiday would be best - you can pay for flights and accomodation before you go which makes it easier to budget. If you want you can also go full board with meals paid for - I personally would hate that, because for me much of the fun of a holiday is exploring the local cuisine - but familes might feel differently.
In terms of area - the world is your oyster - but I was in Zakynthos (greek island) a couple of years ago and had a great time. A good few of the Irish tour companies do it and when you actually get there the prices for food etc are very very reasonable. You can hire a car and see relatively unspoiled parts of the island or you can go to one of the many resort towns if pubs, clubs etc is your thing. There is also (i think) a water park for kids and plenty of boat tours to other island. Great beaches too. Some people complain about the toilets in Greece (you don't flush the loo paper) but once you accept you are on an island, and are prepared to make a few small comprimises, you'll have a great time.

August can be expensive. If it was me I'd try to get over my discomfort of driving the campervan and head to France, either direct from Cork (Brittany Ferries 19/08 - 26/08 is around €800) or maybe from Rosslare with Celtic Ferries (not Irish Ferries), although landbridge via the UK might prove cheaper and more flexible. They would not have to drive too far in France to find a good site on which to park up. I found this place http://www.lagrandemetairie.com/en/default.html to be top, although it's probably one of the more expensive sites to stay on.

keep and eye on the like of the star or mirror who do all in specials as the year wears on. I know of someone who 'joined' one of these clubs last year ( even though the paper said it was restricted to readers living in the uk) and he saved €500 by booking through the paper. nearly sure was the daily mirror.anyway his holiday was 'all inclusive' ie buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner included. local drinks included all day and for the children ice creams and minerals included from 10am until 10pm. for family's it sounded good. for couples with no children I imagine it would not be such good value. The hotel was in the brochures at a much higher price than he paid and he said was of a good standard.

Camping in France is great, but bear in mind that August is probably the hottest month, the busiest month and the most expensive month as that is when the majority of the French take their holidays. We're trying to find a chalet/mobile home on one of the campsites for August and it's proving very difficult. Most seem to be booked up already (when going direct, perhaps some travel agents will have some still?). However if you're camping (bringing own tent etc.) then perhaps there is still some availability.
Cost wise: a 6 person mobile home in August is usually around 700-950 euro for a week, the same one in June could be as little as 400.

Have you looked at this key post on 'Camping in France'?

While I'd heartily recommend it for a family with kids the ages you mention, it may not be the most cost-effective solution if they're only going for a week. You also seem to suggest that they don't have a car, or don't want to bring it abroad (?) — but it's probably cheaper to fly and rent for that kind of timeframe, anyway. Car ferry prices in peak season are appallingly high, and you 'lose' a day or more travelling at each end.

A family of two adults + two kids <16 is exactly the right size for the average 'package' holiday, and if they do the rounds of the travel agents at this time of the year they may very well get a better deal — to France, Spain, wherever — than the combined cost of flights, car hire and rental of a mobile home. If they're not used to foreign travel, bear in mind that temperatures can get uncomfortably hot in August in some of the traditional 'sun' destinations. It would be terrible to have their first holiday abroad ruined by the kids (esp. the 5-year-old) getting sunburnt on day one! I'd suggest they avoid the Med altogether at that time of year... over-priced, over-crowded, and over-hot.

How about mid week flights if you can find campsites that allow weekly bookings from wed to wed.?

e.g. in July, Aer Lingus to Lyon on Wed. for 4 = 640euro ; a tent costs from 500 to a mobile home/cottage 700 + ; and then the car 200euro?

Thanks very much for all the responses. They do have a car aswell as the van, so they could take the car. But it looks as if the ferry option is much more expensive than flying, so maybe flying and renting a car would be best.
Unfortunately August is the only time they can go (fixed holidays, no budging them), which is a pity as it is the hottest and most expensive time of the year.
I will take a look at all the suggestions below and pass them on.
thanks again, I really appreciate it.

I've often recommended http://www.argusrentals.com/ for car hire (no connection, btw).

For the first week of August, your options start from around €170 for seven days — for a Citroën C2/Peugeot 106; you may want something roomier...

Bon voyage!

We've been abroad with our two on a few occasions and like your sister our budget is normally tight!

We've learned to hold our nerve and in the week previous to our holiday week we ring the travel agents and look for a special deal.

With no set destination in mind, we're free to take our pick of what is available and make the best of whatever comes our way.

We've had a great time on three occasions.

Not for the faint hearted, but our attitude is, worse case scenario, we can have a whale of time at home if the foreign hol doesn't work out..

Phoenix, now that sounds like an idea...do you mind me asking where ye ended up, and roughly how much of a reduction you got? Many thanks.