first car what to buy

coleen

a friend of mine is looking to buy her first car she has looked at a few types mainly 1 liter her budget is 4.500 some one she knows is trading in a renault clio with 40 th miles on is this a good buy she will get it for 4.500 it is a 00 car she has looked in garages and has been quoted anything from 4 to 6 for 2000 models is it a good buy or is it best to buy from a dealer

I paid 3K for a 1.2L 98 Clio about 15 months ago with around 68K miles on the clock. It's a very good runaround car, suits me for shopping, school runs etc but I wouldn't recommend it for long journeys. Nice and easy to drive and manoeurve too. The back seat has very little leg room though so it's not particularly good for carrying people either.

Hi

Any chance of some punctuation-your posts are hard to read.

Buy from dealer if they need peace of mind in case anything goes wrong. Mosts Japanese cars will be cheaper to buy and run than European makes.

40k miles sounds good for a 6 year old car, but I wouldn't pay €4,500 for a 2000 Clio.

Opel Corsa, have Viva model also a 2000 over four years no problems :D

Well,

I would stay away from garages and get someone that knows a bit about cars and buy private. You should get a good Micra/Yaris for that cash privately as RS2K said. Really good cars and feck all goes wrong with them.

Should get a 2000 micra for around 4,500 or so, yaris may be a bit more.

Micras and Yaris tops for reliability.
Easy enough to sell on too.

Don't get too hung up on getting a 1 liter.

It will make feck all diff in insurance to get 1.1 up to 1.3

1.0 tend to be excessive prices just because people think only they will do.

Leaves a few more options.

Only one option for the first time buyer who wants a car that's stylish, easy to drive, cheap to run and utterly reliable.......the TOYOTA YARIS of course!!!

I'd suggest a vw polo... there's lots on the market at good prices. They're very reliable and cheap to repair if anything ever does go wrong. They are very safe too. The cars are very sturdy and don't have the flimsy small car feel that you get with some cars.

Another good sign for these cars is the amount that are on the road that are early or mid 90s and still running perfectly. I think most cars don't make that age / mileage very well but polos just seem to keep on going and going. Having said this do try to get the latest version you can afford... the newer cars are much nicer and better equipped.

Other benefits: fuel efficiency, easy to park, power steering even on some older models, hold their value really well, lots of space (I'm 6'6'' and never had any trouble with head or leg room). Also plenty of options 1.0l to 1.4l, petrol or diesel.

Some disadvantages: bit of a girly looking car (only a disadvantage if you're not a girl I guess :) ), standard stereo is a bit lame but there's plenty of decent stereos available at very reasonable prices.

Maybe I'm biased but I had one and thought it was great.

I had a yaris as a rental car some years back, and found the boot very small. Has that changed with the new model?

No, the boot on your rental car is still the same size....lol (sorry, couldn't resist that one)

No, the boot on your rental car is still the same size....lol (sorry, couldn't resist that one)
I suspect by now it could well be considerably smaller. This was a fair while back, so there's a good chance it's been scrapped.

Yaris all the way. My siser has one for the last year, great little car. She had a 98 Corsa before that, and it was always giving probems.

Yaris is hard to fault, 1 Litre, Low Tax - Insurance, Reliability and excellent MPG. Should be easy to sell after.

Whatever you do decide to buy, ensure that it's a car you'll drive for more than a year. when I bought my first car, everyone was telling me to get a 1l. I purchased 1l 98 opel corsa and it was fine. But as you get used to driving it quickly becomes boring.
Plus I took out loan for my first car, drove it for 5 months then switched to an opel astra. So now I'm paying for my astra and the corsa. Just make sure it's one that you'll be happy with.

I would reccomend a Nissan Micra, I have one for last 4 years and its a '98 model. It's a great reliable car, very ecomical and never causes any hassle. It has 97k on clock now and still has plenty of life in her yet:D

I would reccomend a Nissan Micra, I have one for last 4 years and its a '98 model. It's a great reliable car, very ecomical and never causes any hassle. It has 97k on clock now and still has plenty of life in her yet:D

and if its like most of the others on the road, it doesn't go over 80 km/h...:rolleyes:

Back