First Bill from BT - Overcharged

PadraigL

Got my first bill from BT today. I changed from Eircom to the €45 broadband and phone package. Very happy until the bill came in.

The bill was 3 time what it should have been. Rang them and got a woman on a call back. She said I was to disregard the bill as it is wrong and that a batch was sent out to some new customers.
Anyone got the same problem?

What they had done was to give me 3 seperate bills, line rental, broadband and the phone.

By the way I did find it a little dificult to get through to customer care....

Hi Padraig...do a search on BT here and you will find similar experiences to your own. I'm afraid their billing system is not up to scratch at all. I signed up for broadband late last year was overcharged for about four months until they eventually sorted it out. Asked them to cancel the service and they havent managed to do that yet (despite me asking in May). They have continued billing me even though we are not now using the service and the matter is now with Comreg. Back up all your communication to BT with a letter as what you agree on the phone doesn't seem to hold water. (I spoke to them on three occasions to cancel the account and it still hasn't happened and they have no record of this). The sad thing is that the actual service is good and I never had connectivity or service problems. Their customer service people seem to be doing the best they can with dodgey information available to them and a dodgey billing system. Good luck!

If you are on direct debit I would advise you to cancel and change to the online billing. It will also save you €5 a bill by not getting the paper bill.
I had this problem aswell, the first bill was over charged by 400%, rang customer support who said that the problem should be sorted by the next bill, it wasn't and I got over charged again. In total they overcharged me €300 and it took about 3 months to get refunded.
Apart from the bad customer service the actual product is pretty good

The product is good but good luck to you trying to get through to customer care. I phoned them to try and change to the 45 euro package, couldn't get through, ever! Had a problem recently, tried to phone to see if there was a fault on the line, couldn't get through. So I'm about to cancel the service and plan to do so by registered post! Either they are seriously under resourced or they just don't give a sh1t about their customers and provide a seriously below par customer service.

Hi all,

I agree that their customer service is appalling to say the least. I have tried to get though to them over phone on several occassions in the evenings but haven't been successful even once! Their product is good though. I received a bill last week for 45 euro package and had been billed €33 as self-installation charge. Did any of you get this too for first time bT customer?

Thanks

if youre trying to get through to BT, when you're on hold, pick the option to use their call queuing system. Ive had to ring several times over the last year and have always had a call back within an hour.

On my first bill it totalled to (E35 Option 1mb BB) :
E190.. Breakdown

2 Months BB + Line Rental E70
Forward 2 Months BB + Line Rental E70
Installation Charge E40
Calls E10

Was yours similar??

G

breener: yours looks fairly ok to me. I had a long running saga with them but sorted now. but yours looks ok the calls are €10 and you can check them out on the bill. installation charge might be for the modem (33 + vat) the two months in advance are fairly normal and if you have calls on your bill it means you have to pay for this period. if theres an overcharge for this period you should get it back next time. Sharon Norton is the person who sorted me out in the end but it was a lot more complicated than you bill by the looks of things.

My bill breaks down as follows
Call service €53
Broadband €113 (inc €33 for self install and €33 for wireless modem)
Line rental €45
Vat €44

Total €255

The thing is that I checked the bill on their web site earlier today and it showed the details as above.
I immediately wrote a mail complaining. This was in fact the 2nd mail I have wrote them. I am still waiting for a response for the first.

Just now I checked the bill again and it was gone from the web site. I wonder does that mean they are at least reading the e-mails.

Is the charge for self-install reasonable? I paid this too btu am wondering why now. What is their justification for it?

looks like self install and wireless modem are one and the same. so a likely double charge there.

I was overcharged by BT for the 1st two bills. After a few calls to them I finally got talking to a guy who refunded me by the amount I was overcharged and everything else is going grand since then.

I also got a bill from them today and am bamboozled to say the least.

In respect of the 33 for self install and 33 for Wireless Modem, I think that the total cost of the wireless modem was to be €80, if i recall correctly. Add the two 33 plus odd money, add 21% VAT and you get €80

I am going to try to ring tomorrow to get a breakdown on my bill, there are charges added on and subtracted and it does not make sense at all.

I viewed my first bill online last week and I must say it was roughly as I expected - €190. I am on the €45 per month Broadband + Total Talk package. Four (approx) weeks in arrears (just switched from Eircom) + 2 months in advance + €40 for self insatall modem (all inc vat) + all chargeable calls. Very pleased so far. But, looking at other posts on various forums regarding BT billing my attitude may change in the future. Still, their overall package is great value when compared to other providers. Eircom STILL do not provide a comparable package.

I just changed over to BT also and my first bill was €46
i went with the €35 a month broadband and talk option.
seems to be for a months line rental couldnt really figure it out. i had a router already so i didnt get changed for that.

envelope: probably an advance on the rental which is normal. would have expected it to be more like €70 though.

yes i did apply somewhat online had to fax the forms over.
well im not complaining it seems to be the opposite of everyone elses complaint.

Changed from utv and paid them 30 euros to keep my modem.I was still charged 30.06 for self install.Iwas also charged for 4 phones. If everyone is being overcharged ,is this not fraud? I have been in contact with Comreg and if no refund I will be in contact with the small claims court

Back