Fireplace Upstairs

TirNaNog

We are currently in building a two storey house and are thinking of building a solid fuel fireplace upstairs in one of the bedrooms. I would be interested in hearing opinions on the advantages and disadvantages of doing this and any potential problems to watch out for if anyone has done this before?

Thanks.

the more open flues you have in a house the less energy efficient it will be... open solid fuel fires may only be 25-30% efficient... where as a stove would be 75-85% efficient......

are you installing a timber first floor or concrete???

We are putting in concrete first floor using 210mm hollowcore slabs with a 3" structural screed over the slabs.

Just musing here, logging all the kindle, coal, etc up the stairs.......... and carrying the ash remains down ............... Eh no thanks .

Yours

Secman

Just musing here, logging all the kindle, coal, etc up the stairs.......... and carrying the ash remains down ............... Eh no thanks .

That was my thought as well, in the days when all middle class Irish houses had fires in their bedrooms, we also had maids to do the look after them. I would go for gas with a balanced flue, you can get 86% efficiency with one of these [broken link removed] . I was looking at them recently, the styles have all have different names and more are available than in the link, but the Gazco Logic E-Box is the most efficient fire/internals I could find. It is a convector with a glass screen in front, they run at about 1100 euro.

Another advantage is the 'Thermostatic Remote Control', easy to control from the bed :) with no getting up to upen a window when the room gets too hot and when waking up freezing in the middle of the night after the fire goes out!

Towger

Last edited:
Would there be any reason to be fearful of having gas piped to an appliance in a bedroom?

as long as the bedroom complies with the proper ventilation regulations for gas fires then no....

Would there be any reason to be fearful of having gas piped to an appliance in a bedroom?

No. Once you have the required ventilation and I don't think you need a vent of the type of fire suggested. Many an older house would have gas files in all the rooms and before that gas lights.

I put a kedco bio ethanol fire in mine, looks the part and you get a real flame.

Back