Fireplace repair

Beefs

I bought a 1930's house and am doing it up at the moment.

One of the fireplaces in the front room has a crack at the back of the firebox - called the fireback? Do I need to get this repaired before I attempt to light a fire? Could I do it myself with fire cement? Is it a serious problem? What would professional repairs cost?

Also I wanted to get a new marble hearth. There are tiles at the moment at floor level. What would a new hearth cost?

I'd appreciate any help.

I would advise you to call a chap called David O'Reilly at Antique Fireplaces & Restoration. They are in the phone directory.

I have no affiliation with this company - just a satisfied customer. I think we paid about €120 per marble hearth (supply only).

One of the fireplaces in the front room has a crack at the back of the firebox - called the fireback?

I recall reading in my trusty Collins DIY Manual that firebacks can be made of asbestos - might be worthwhile seeking professional advice as recommended above rather than tackling it yourself, just in case.

Extopia,

Thanks for the recommendation - do you know where they are located? There are two similarly named companies in the phone book.

Thanks again

Hi Beefs,

You should find them on Francis Street, just off the Coombe.
I would also heartily recommend them after replacing a "lovely" 70's fireplace with an original cast iron fire in our house bought and installed from them.

I would be very interested to hear how you get on. We had a similar problem in our house, which we moved into in July. In our case the bricks on each side of the grate are loose. I serached a lot to get someone to fix them, but either people were not interested in what they said was too small a job, or they asked what seemed ridiculous prices. I think I was quoted about €300 to fix them, but can't remember precisely. In the end I bought those 'firesaver bricks' and propped them up at the sides. (Don't know what they are called - they make the grate smaller to save fuel). This is just intended as a temporary solution though - so if you find someone who will do a small fireplace job at a reasonable price please pass on the details!

Beefs said:
Extopia,

Thanks for the recommendation - do you know where they are located?

Antique Fireplace Restoration 89 Francis st Dublin 8 01 4544101

David O'Reilly is the guy's name. He will give you advice at least, not sure if they will actually carry out the job but I am sure he will at least recommend someone if he thinks a repair is necessary. If it's a case of doing the fire cement yourself it's an easy enough job,