Fireplace, Hole in Base.

ryan-neil

Hi,

My Fireplace has a hole in the concrete where the ashes build up, is this just normal cement or a special kind or does it require the entire base be replaced.

Thanks

If is just where the ash falls - a strong mix of sand & cement will do.

Over the space of a few years -this area will get eroded by constant hot ash and may need to be replaced - an afternoon job.

K

Do you mean the entire area will have to be replace, its funny you mention sand as the concrete seem to be sand inside the hole as if it has broken down, is it ok to simply patch the hole with a new mix or should it be replaced, it's about 17 years old. Can you tell me specifics as to the sand cement mix.

Thanks
Neil

Also, if the grate has been damaged and not replaced in time, the hot coals will fall onto the base.

Be hole i mean it is about 2 inches wide and runs for about another two inches under the rest of the base. There are also one or two other developing, I would rather patch it up rather than have to replace it. Also by replace do you mean buy a precast unit or cast a new one in the fireplace itself using cement.

Thanks

It's not too bad a job.

Take out some of the old cement with a hammer and cold chisel.
get a bag of sand and bag of cement in your local builders providers (cost 13euro odd) mix it 3 parts sand to one part cement - in a bucket or on the ground.
and fill the hole.
it doesn't have to have a glass finish -just run any trowel over it to get it smoothish.
will do for another 10+ years.

as above repair a broken grate to stop hot coals sitting on base.

hope this helps.

K

Be careful when lighting a fire until you have it repaired. Same situation happened to me and the insulation behind the fireplace caught fire. Could have been very serious except we were in room when it happened and called fire brigade.

Just with ref to Col reply's reply above.

A damaged fire back at the rear of your fireplace is a different story to a fire base.

A cracked/damaged fire back needs to be fully replaced.
The base you are talking about is fine to repair.

K

Back