Fireplace and mantle

chispa

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice on our fireplace area.
The plan is to remove the fireplace and hollow out the surround, then install a multi-fuel buring stove. I'm not a big fan of fancy fireplaces, so I was hoping to dispense with that altogether, and just have a mantle above the stove area.
The mantle would either be supported by building out the fireplace a little; or else it would have to rest on brackets.
I know this is possible, because I saw a picture in a magazine!
I have 2 questions - one, whether anybody has done this sort of thing before, and how big a job is it (we have builders in at the moment who'll probably help)? And two, what sort of wood am I looking for, and where would I get it? I was thinking of a railway sleeper, but reckon that'll be too heavy. But that sort of look...

Thanks for your help!

had a similar idea in my head! Will be watching replies like mad here too ;)

I presume you would be thinking of something like this chunky mantel for overhead your new stove/fireplace?

[broken link removed]

I am not a big fan of 'fancy fireplaces' either, so I took out a back boiler and replaced it with a gas fire called a 'dream box' - it's a self contained gas fire - ie you hollow out enough space for it and it sits in that space. My builder just plastered around it. It's a 'less is more' look.

I think the railway sleeper will be too heavy - your builder could slice it in two widthwise? I could take a pic and post it tomorrow if that helps explain.

Deirdra said:
I am not a big fan of 'fancy fireplaces' either, so I took out a back boiler and replaced it with a gas fire called a 'dream box' - it's a self contained gas fire - ie you hollow out enough space for it and it sits in that space. My builder just plastered around it. It's a 'less is more' look.

I think the railway sleeper will be too heavy - your builder could slice it in two widthwise? I could take a pic and post it tomorrow if that helps explain.

The railway sleeper mantel is possible I've seen this done before it's a real country log cabin kinda look but does look very well

chispa said:
Hi all,

The plan is to remove the fireplace and hollow out the surround, then install a multi-fuel buring stove. I'm not a big fan of fancy fireplaces, so I was hoping to dispense with that altogether, and just have a mantle above the stove area.
The mantle would either be supported by building out the fireplace a little; or else it would have to rest on brackets.
I have 2 questions - one, whether anybody has done this sort of thing before, and how big a job is it (we have builders in at the moment who'll probably help)? And two, what sort of wood am I looking for, and where would I get it? I was thinking of a railway sleeper, but reckon that'll be too heavy. But that sort of look...

Thanks for your help!

chispa said:
Hi all,

Thanks for your help!
Hi Chispa,
I am looking into the exact same thing at the moment. I am doing up my house that I bought in Dec 05. We looked into replacing the fireplace with a more modern one, buy nearly died when we found that any one we liked was 2500 ish. Any way I am not mad on a traditional fireplace. So we are looking into getting the opening enlarged to get a multi-fuel stove installed.For me I feel that if should fit totally into the hollow not protrude into the room. I have a survey coming at lunch time tomorrow to see if the job is posssible. I want a simple mantel too. I rang Buckleys Fireplace in Stillorgan, www.buckleyfireplaces.com Have a chat to them. Very friendly. I will let you know how I get on with the surveyor

Dobber22, that picture is pretty much what I'm thinking of: thanks! Any thoughts about where I'd get that sort of thing? I know my sister had someone drag a piece of driftwood halfway across Cork for her mantle, but I'm a bit more consumerist than she is.

Alternatively, I think we'll go with the "less is more" solution advocated by Dierdra. But I do think mantles are handy. For things like that ugly vase of flowers, for example.

Thanks everyone!

funny you all talk about this kind of fireplace or similiar.just yesterday i purchased that railway sleeper look as a total fireplace and its chunky.i purchased it plus everything that goes with it(hearth,grate+cover,surround etc absolutly everything) for wait for it.........E700.

the only thing wrong with it was a slight mark on the mantle piece done by a screw driver which can be fixed in minutes.i bought this in a high st shop

X-man,

WHERE did you purchase the perfect fireplace? And do they have any more?

lab-rat, any ideas about prices in that Buckleys place? I'll give them a call anyway. I think we're really looking for a stove that's even less ornate than their ones... might think about getting from the UK.

Thanks everyone - really useful ideas.

chispa said:
X-man,

lab-rat, any ideas about prices in that Buckleys place? I'll give them a call anyway. I think we're really looking for a stove that's even less ornate than their ones... might think about getting from the UK.

Chispa i purchased in Rices dundalk.they have more in actual fact ill forward you a picture later but it ain't installed yet.

chispa said:
Dobber22, that picture is pretty much what I'm thinking of: thanks! Any thoughts about where I'd get that sort of thing? I know my sister had someone drag a piece of driftwood halfway across Cork for her mantle, but I'm a bit more consumerist than she is.

Alternatively, I think we'll go with the "less is more" solution advocated by Dierdra. But I do think mantles are handy. For things like that ugly vase of flowers, for example.

Thanks everyone!

Haven't been able to find one on the net but if it's just a nice antique mantel you're after then a carpenter or joiner may be able to advise best if you know any then just ask.

Good Luck ;)

chispa said:
X-man,

I hope to get the stove for 1k ish and the installation/building work for a few hundred. I am thinking of all in + Mantel . I would only be interested in a very simple design. Tomorrow I should have more of idea of cost

Cheers for that lab-rat, looking forward to the update. I agree - it should be as simple as it possibly can be.
Once I've done a bit more research I'll let you know if we have any other suppliers to recommend.

Thanks again

chispa said:
Cheers for that lab-rat, looking forward to the update. I agree - it should be as simple as it possibly can be.
Once I've done a bit more research I'll let you know if we have any other suppliers to recommend.

Thanks again
Hi Again,
Did you watch a UK programme a few weeks ago about a guy who was trying to make a living by making funky stoves. The programme helped him get a web site up and running and to source parts for the stove. ( I only caught the end of the show) [broken link removed]
I would love to find a stove that was a reasonable price but also a good design.
Any one come across one?

chispa said:

Thanks again
Hi Chispa,
The surveyor called around today. He took photos(up the flue) and measurements of my existing fireplace. To get the survey done it does not cost anything but to get any info about your survey you have to call into Buckleys. I guess they do not want you going to a competitor with their survey results.
I got two websites that might help you. www.yeoman-stoves.co.uk and www.dovre.co.uk
I am going to talk to Buckleys tomorrow to get estimates. I will let you know how I get on

Back