Firefox won't save new bookmarks

TreeTiger

I have a lot of bookmarks divided into about 20 folders, some with sub-folders. For the last few weeks Firefox hasn't saved any new bookmarks I've added for some reason. Any ideas what I should do?

Also, someone told me yesterday that I should use Internet Explorer (which I hate) as Firefox "lets in viruses" and IE is safer. Is there any truth to this, and if there isn't, is there a definitive explanation I can give this person as to why Firefox (which I really like) is safer than IE?

I have a lot of bookmarks divided into about 20 folders, some with sub-folders. For the last few weeks Firefox hasn't saved any new bookmarks I've added for some reason. Any ideas what I should do?

when you click "bookmark this page" what happens?

Also, someone told me yesterday that I should use Internet Explorer (which I hate) as Firefox "lets in viruses" and IE is safer. Is there any truth to this, and if there isn't, is there a definitive explanation I can give this person as to why Firefox (which I really like) is safer than IE?

Ask him for proof rather then the fact that he may once have had got a virus whilst using firefox. Youre only as safe as your protection and surfing habits and will get a virus using either if you go to the wrong page, open the wrong file, or if you have no antivirus/firewall/malware protection running.

Firefox has traditionally been better at front end malware protection by having popup blockers and script prevention plugins. But IE is getting better with later releases. So if you can take it that theyre both pretty safe with the right tools, its only a browser preference choice rather then a security issue.

I use IE for banking but only cos some bank sites only support IE, I use firefox for general browsing and work due to the many useful plugins and I use Opera for mobile browsing.

when you click "bookmark this page" what happens
It appears to be saved until the next time I start Firefox and then it's not there anymore.
However, this may be moot now as I have just done an uninstall/reinstall and cleared my user data. Before doing this I backed up my bookmarks onto my desktop. Now if I doubleclick the file on the desktop it opens a new tab in Firefox with links to all the pages I'd bookmarked. However if I try "Bookmarks --> Organise Bookmarks --> Import and Backup --> Restore --> Choose file" my backup file isn't appearing and the only filetype showing is "JSON". At least I have my bookmarks in some form and I'm sure I'll eventually get them sorted.

Ask him for proof rather then the fact that he may once have had got a virus whilst using firefox.
She was told this by her husband whose every word she takes as gospel!

Thanks very much for your help car, much appreciated.

Before doing this I backed up my bookmarks onto my desktop
this should have saved a file with extension .JSON unless you called it something else. whatever the backup file is, rename it to give a .JSON and it should import ok for you.

Thanks again car. I have actually spent the last 1/2 hour dragging the bookmarks from the Firefox tab into new bookmark folders I have made. There were dozens of bookmarks I don't use any more - many defunct - so it was really time to clear them out properly, at least now I only have the bookmarks I use. However I'll do it the proper way next time now that I know. :)

Hopefully the problem with Firefox not saving bookmarks will have disappeared as a result of the reinstallation. I'll post an update when I see how things are going.

I had this problem with Firefox with not keeping my bookmarks. I found a similar question replied to here; but cannot for the life of me find that answer now. Rather than removing Firefox and doing a fresh install; the reply to the thread sent me to the Firefox resource centre; there I found that you had to tweak a file or two and it was sorted. So my bookmarks work now; pity I didn't bookmark the solution at the time :eek:. I will keep looking and post my search results.

Have a look here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks you might find something to help you.

Last edited:
Back