Firefox - Have to login again to everything after reboot

Complainer

Something seems to have changed in my Firefox environment 1-2 weeks ago, so now after a reboot, I have to login again to AAM, Boards.ie, Facebook etc. I'm pretty sure I didn't change any settings, and I don't recall downloading any new versions (though I think it downloads minor version upgrades itself).

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas how it might get fixed?

Hi Complainer,

Go to Help, About Mozilla Firefox, and check the version, if it's 3.5.2 select OK then go to Tools, Options, Security and under the passwords heading tick "Remember passwords for site"

From the Mozilla website:
"Even with this option preference checked, however, you'll still be asked whether to save passwords for a site when you first visit it. If you select
Never for This Site, that site will be added to an exceptions list. To access that list or to remove sites from it, click the Exceptions...button"

Personally I would not do this for security reasons ( I'm paranoid ) but if your happy to do so it's your choice.

PS. You may also need to check, Tools, Clear Recent History, and Deselect Active logins.

Last edited:
Well, I'm a bit behind you on versions - I'm on 3.0.13.

I have the 'Remember passwords' version checked, but I think that's a different issue. AFAIK, that option populates the password fields with the remembered password, and requires you to press 'login' or whatever. But 2 weeks ago, I didn't have to login, with or without the remembered password. It just stayed logged in after each reboot.

Oh OK, I'd seriously advise you to upgrade to the later versions ( 3.5 ) as there are security issues involved with anything lower.

From the Mozilla website:
"Firefox 3.0.x will be maintained with security and stability updates until January 2010. All users are strongly encouraged to upgrade to Firefox 3.5"

In relation to your original query did your machine crash 2 weeks ago or anything like that? it seems to me your "cookies" were deleted from your machine somehow this can happen in a crash but more likely were deleted by the upgrade. Basically "cookies" are bits of info most websites place on your machine so they can remember when you last visited, passwords etc.

Go to Tools, Options, Privacy and ensure "Accept cookies from sites" is checked, and keep until they expire, you can also check what cookies are on the machine from here. If your cookies have been deleted you will need to logon to each site you used to logon to ( having done the above ) and ensure on each site that "Remember me?" ( as in this site ) or something like it is also ticked.

Once again I personally would not do this as Cookies are also used by companies to track your movement on the web so they can see your movement , what/when you purchase items, tailor ad's etc.
I know it's a pain to enter your logon details over and over but like most things it's a trade off the decision is yours

Having said all of the above it could very simply be that the folks at Mozilla removed this ability in later editions due to security concerns.
Would like to help more but can't test it properly having the upgraded version, sorry.

Hi Complainer,

Go to Help, About Mozilla Firefox, and check the version, if it's 3.5.2 select OK then go to Tools,

I'm on Mozilla Firefox 3.5.3 and it seems ok now although there was problems with the previous upgrade version.

) very honest of you, no worries on the deja vu it happens to all of us, sure that's what sites like this are for.