Fire Safety Levy - same cost for 1-bed, 2-bed, 3-bed apartments

helvetica

I own a 1-bed in an apartment complex in Dublin. There is a fire safety issue that needs to be resolved in order to keep the complex insured. The purchase lease states that the management fee is equal per unit, so the management company divided the levy equally based on the lease. I feel this is unfair to all owners of smaller units, and that the levy should be calculated based on area, with an allowance for the maintenance cost of shared areas. What is your experience of this - are you also in a complex where the fee is divided by the number of apartments, with no allowance to value / area?

In my apartment block management fees are lower for smaller units so I agree it is unfair. Get other smaller apartment owners to support you and contend the next AGM for election as director of the management company and then bring a motion to the AGM to change the distribution of costs. Also note that the government has a redress scheme for MUD developments for building reg issues so these costs may fall under that scheme. The management company should apply.

It seems reasonable to me if the problem is at the level of the whole complex.

The alternative is some kind of formula based on square footage or bedrooms. This information may not be easily available and, even if it is, it will just lead to more dispute about how you weight the formula.

I’ve no experience with MUDs, but the purchase lease approach is a pretty good precedent in the absence of anything else as well.

You knew how the costs were allocated when you purchased the apartment

If it was that big an issue, surely you would not have purchased?

That said, I would imagine an arguement amongst the owners over changing the basis of allocation could quickly get out of hand and create a fractious atmosphere amongst those who are living in the property

I guess it also depends on the type of fire work thats required. Deviating from the agreed rules there should probably be a very good justification. Is the costs driven to a large degree by the size of the apartment or is it something that in reality doesn't vary much in costs from unit to unit?

Similar to above, my complex charges extra % for larger units on the annual charge. I would go the AGM and argue this but based on fairness of all amenities, not just the fire regs. It's common sense to assume an apartment that has 4 occupants will use more wear and tear in common areas as well as have more rubbish being put into the bins.

Back