Fire Rated Doors - What is the Building Regs

triple_x

Hi, beacuse Im converting my attic to a living space Im finding out that I have quite a lot of fire rated doors(30m) and it is driving up the price alot (100%) .

I am questioning the fact at what really constitutes that a door has to be fire-rated?

If a normal door has a self-closing mechanism would this suffice in places of having to have a full-spec fire rated door??

Anybody with experience who has investigated this area?? Thanks

A fire rated door is one which has been rated to resist fire for a certain period. An ordinary door with a closer will not do.
Leo

Every door will have a fire resistance measurement. Check with your door supplier what fire resistance they have (thats 'resistance' and not 'rating')

generally, unless your doors are honeycomb cardboard type, they can be upgraded to 30 mins fire resistance....

The requirements for three storey dwellings are that all doors onto the landings (all landings and ground floor hall) are FD20's with self closing devices, all floors are 30 minute fire resistant, and all partitions adjoining the landings are fire resistant to 30 minutes. Most houses would not meet these requirements as they stand and it’s simply not practical or economical to upgrade.
from [broken link removed]

Increasing the fire performance of panelled doors may require
a combination of methods. It can be assisted by work such as
applying intumescent strips to the door and frame edges. Also glazed panels may need to be replaced, or special finishes such as intumescent paint or varnish applied to increase fire resistance.