Fire proofing

R

realcavanman

I have a pub and am doing some renovating work.The work will not be done in the actual pub but behind it (toilets) My living quarters are above the pub.My architect has told me i need to insulate the pub ceiling for fire.He says i need 2 x 2 layers of gypsum sheeting with 50 x 50 mm battens in between.On the upstairs floor, a layer of 15mm gypsum needs to be laid.
Does this seem to be over cautious? Can i get away without the gypsum on the upstairs flooring? (this would be very troublesome and costly - lifting carpets,moving furniture adapting doors skirting etc)

The pub and the living quaters are treated as different fire compartments. Depending on the fire cert requriements for fire separation (usually 60 or 90 mionutes), you'd be looking for 2 x 15mm boards (for 60 min protection) or 3 x 15mm boards (for 90 mins protection). These can be fixed to the underside of the timber joists

The fire cert should say what is required. Not sure about the gypsum on the floor - is he suggesting this is actually on the floor boards?

Gypsum do what's called the 'White Book', it is the bible for standard gypsum details to achieve fire rating (amongst other things). Check out the link below:

You may be able to get away by not doing anything upstair but it would involce more work downstairs to the ceiling. Id imagine to compartmentise the pub from the living quater you would have to nearly have to have an independant ceiling from the existing one. This would probably be more expensive than moving furniture and some flooring. I would not be skimping on fire protection, especially in a pub where you don not have as much control on people may do

Cheers,folks.
Has anyone had any experience in this area?
Is it not a case wherby you apply for a fire certificate showing what you intend doing and then the fire officer oks it or not?

Good quality rockwool between the joists and double slab below should be enough.

The fire cert will outline what compartmentation (amongst other things) requried to comply with building control - it will be general, for example '1 hour fire integrity between ground and first floor'. Your architect's detailing / build up of materials will need to comply with this requirement - the fire cert won't tell you how to build it.

Touchwood's suggestion should suffice for the 1 / 1.5 hour requirement. The architect should be very familiar with this.