Fire hoods for recessed lighting

ennisjim

Hi, I've recently had a lot of recessed lights (23) installed in new build and was thinking of adding fire hoods. I've used low-energy (CFL) mains voltage (9W each). I've seen intumescent hoods which help to improve fire safety and was wondering if these were a good idea.

Also, I was wondering if there is need for ventilation to prevent build up of heat and if so how can this be done without providing holes up into next floor level, ie. where can hot air vent to ?

As you're using low-energy fittings, you don't need to worry about heat issues.
Leo

Have you any advice for purchasing recessed lights?

I am currently planning to purchase 4 recessed ceiling lights (1 for each corner) for my downstairs hall.

What do I need to purchase and has anyone any idea roughly how much an electrician will charge to install the fixtures (extend the existing lighting circuit), or is it a job that you can DIY with proper junction boxes etc yourself??

What are the safest ones to buy and how does a low energy recessed light compare in brightness to its comparable normal energy light?

Is it more difficulty to install the dimmer switch or does that just fit over the existing switch panel?

thanks