Fire Exit locked with BMS

OGC222

I have just moved into a new office. The fire exits are both locked. I queried this with fire safety officer and he advised in the event of fire the BMS will automatically open the doors.

Is this allowed. What if the BMS fails and they doors don't open.

Building is old, employer is semi state. Are regulations set to age of building.

That's not unusual. I would ask if the building has an Uninterupted Power System- UPS (so in the event of a power failure a battery system kicks in) and there should be a break glass type approach to such doors as well

Magnetically locked fire doors are held open by magnets. They are released and closed in the event of a fire. That's what it usually linked to the BMS.
As far as I'm aware fire exits, a different thing to a fire door, must not be locked or secured in any way which does not allow the person at the inside of the door from opening it directly. That's certainly the advice which we received when we upgraded our system a few years ago.

Building Management System, basically a computer that should unlock the doors in event of fire alarm going off.

It is definitely the fire escape and not a fire door as it has the green emergency exit sign over both doors and they are either end of the building.

That's not unusual. I would ask if the building has an Uninterupted Power System- UPS (so in the event of a power failure a battery system kicks in) and there should be a break glass type approach to such doors as well
very good point on UPS hadn't thought of that. I also thought incase of an emergency and it wasn't fire but still an emergency and we needed to leave the building and could not get to the main door, a person would be in trouble.

it doesn't sit well with me that a human life replies on a computer system to open a locked emergency exit the only signal to open this door seems to be fire alarm going off.

I visit this website a lot for information. I don't have the knowledge to answer any of the financial questions but registered as this is the first I've see I can answer.

The building is perfectly safe.

A Mag Lock (Magnetic Lock) is a lock typically fixed to the face of a door (can be internal or external). You can get more expensive discrete ones built into the lock of a door. When power is at the door the magnet is activated and the door locked. If the power fails like in a power cut or the fire alarm is activated the magnetic doesn’t work and the door is unlocked. The idea if the fire alarm fails and power cuts the doors still opens so it’s always safe. A fire alarm also always has a backup battery built into the system ensuring it can unlock doors if needed.

You often get these locks with access control doors too. If someone presents a card to a card reader, a keypad or a button on an intercom the magnet is deactivated for a few seconds allowing you to open the door. The magnetic then re-activates which is why sometimes when someone presses a door release intercom button if you’re not quick enough it relocks. These access control doors sometimes have a release button inside. This is to allow it open when you don’t have a fire or power cut.

The only time I’ve specified these locks when the door doesn’t open in a fire is in secure rooms where drugs are stored and in some Department of Defence rooms where guns are stored. The idea here is you don’t want someone setting off the fire alarm enabling them to get drugs or guns. These are incredibly rare but do exist and have inbuilt security features still allowing you to escape in a fire.

A BMS is a building management system. It's a computer that control heating, ventilation fans, fire alarms, access controls, the time outside lights come on and off, etc. That means someone at a computer with the proper admin permissions could unlock the door if required, for testing purposes for example.

A Mag Lock (Magnetic Lock) is a lock typically fixed to the face of a door (can be internal or external). You can get more expensive discrete ones built into the lock of a door. When power is at the door the magnet is activated and the door locked. If the power fails like in a power cut or the fire alarm is activated the magnetic doesn’t work and the door is unlocked. The idea if the fire alarm fails and power cuts the doors still opens so it’s always safe. A fire alarm also always has a backup battery built into the system ensuring it can unlock doors if needed.
In my experience these are usually internal fire doors which are held open when the fire alarm is not activated but close when it is activated to help prevent the fire spreading. In other words they are fire doors. I haven't seem this system used in emergency exists. Those are usually have a push bar type system for opening and the fire alarm is activated if they are opened.

I visit this website a lot for information. I don't have the knowledge to answer any of the financial questions but registered as this is the first I've see I can answer.

The building is perfectly safe.

You often get these locks with access control doors too. If someone presents a card to a card reader, a keypad or a button on an intercom the magnet is deactivated for a few seconds allowing you to open the door. The magnetic then re-activates which is why sometimes when someone presses a door release intercom button if you’re not quick enough it relocks. These access control doors sometimes have a release button inside. This is to allow it open when you don’t have a fire or power cut.

The only time I’ve specified these locks when the door doesn’t open in a fire is in secure rooms where drugs are stored and in some Department of Defence rooms where guns are stored. The idea here is you don’t want someone setting off the fire alarm enabling them to get drugs or guns. These are incredibly rare but do exist and have inbuilt security features still allowing you to escape in a fire.

A BMS is a building management system. It's a computer that control heating, ventilation fans, fire alarms, access controls, the time outside lights come on and off, etc. That means someone at a computer with the proper admin permissions could unlock the door if required, for testing purposes for example.
I appreciate the detailed response. What if there is a fire and the fire alarm fails to sound, the door remains locked. My swipe card doesn't open it and its my only exit from the building. I know I am being over cautious, one of my early childhood memories is not a pleasant one with fire.

I haven't seem this system used in emergency exists. Those are usually have a push bar type system for opening and the fire alarm is activated if they are opened.
I'm my building these mag-locked doors lead to fire exit stairwells down to regular push-bar emergency exit doors. There are other regular fire exit doors dotted around the ground floor also.

I'm my building these mag-locked doors lead to fire exit stairwells down to regular push-bar emergency exit doors. There are other regular fire exit doors dotted around the ground floor also.
Yes, that's what I'd expect; fire doors mag-locked open which close when the alarm goes off and standard push bar emergency exit doors.

We have both types of mag-locked door, open and closed. The closed ones on upper floors lead to fire exit only stairwells which aren't otherwise in use.

Last edited:
it doesn't sit well with me that a human life replies on a computer system to open a locked emergency exit the only signal to open this door seems to be fire alarm going off.
And what happens when the battery back up doesn't work .......

We have replaced chains on the doors with computers. And computers never fail ..........

This entire thread reminds me of the multilevel shambles that enabled the Grenfell fire.

And I'm old enough to remember sitting one Friday evening on a bus hearing breaking news of a ferry ship (the Herald of Free Enterprise) sinking in the North Sea, and thinking "thank God people no longer drown on sinking ships". 193 people ended up dead.

This entire thread reminds me of the multilevel shambles that enabled the Grenfell fire.
In the twin towers they told the office workers to stay at their desks. Some did not because they remembered a prior bomb attack.

Speaking of Grenfell, we had Priory Hall (and others) . You have all the Health and Safety Rules but could build what you wanted without state checking.

I hate electronic doors. Made worse by our experience of electronics in cars. There should always be a manual override to electronic safety exit doors. Or an axe if the door is made of glass. My own front door is so solid you'd need a JCB, which is fine as we have other exits.

In the twin towers they told the office workers to stay at their desks. Some did not because they remembered a prior bomb attack.

Speaking of Grenfell, we had Priory Hall (and others) . You have all the Health and Safety Rules but could build what you wanted without state checking.

I hate electronic doors. Made worse by our experience of electronics in cars. There should always be a manual override to electronic safety exit doors. Or an axe if the door is made of glass. My own front door is so solid you'd need a JCB, which is fine as we have other exits.
The technology in new cars is surprisingly temperamental. I know of someone who recently bought an almost-new car which now has to be returned to the manufacturer to correct a software fault.

I have had an experience, where in a fire drill, a mag log door did not open automatically. It can go wrong. We forced it open at the time but there should be a manual override.

The problem with Grenfell was that the State did too much checking. I'd gladly spend the rest of my life in Priory Hall before I'd live in a kip where I'd be likely to be burned alive if a computer failed.

In my work place there is a manual BGU (break glass unit) beside every electronically managed fire door. It can be pressed breaking the glass as it were in case of an emergency. It is not advertised as what it is but can be used to override the electronics if necessary. It can be linked to the overall monitoring system and even the fire alarm system where it shows as a manual call point alarm if broken.

Back